Topic: Help inserting hardware LA2A compressor after Pre on UFX

Hi there,

Im trying out the UFX and have a hardware LA2A that im borrowing from a friend.  Im very new to Totalmix, and was wondering if someone could help me setup the hardware LA2A after the mic pre.

I need to return the LA2A tomorrow and would love to try it out before I give it back.

I went through the manual, and it mentions inserting external hardware in the recording, but I couldn't find a detailed setup explanation.

One idea I had was that I send the input mic, say MIC 9, out to an output channel, connect that output into the LA2A, and then take the output from the LA2A to a new input channel in the UFX.  But that would essentially place a pre before and after the LA2A.

I would really appreciate any help in pointing me in the right direction!!

Thanks!

Re: Help inserting hardware LA2A compressor after Pre on UFX

1- Plug the mic to a mic input on the UFX (MIC 9 for example) and adjust the gain using the gain knob (not the fader).
2- In TotalmixFX, Click on an unused hardware output pair on the third row(AN 3/4 for example).
3- Click the wrench icon on the output pair, and click on (Stereo) - Now the output pair splits into 2 mono outputs (An 3 & An 4)
4- Make sure you first click on AN 3 to highlight it, and then on the input row, move the channel fader of mic 9 to 0 (or double click on it). Now you should see signal on both the Mic channel and the output AN 3 when tapping on the mic.
5- Use a TRS MALE to XLR MALE to connect the the AN 3 output of the UFX to the XLR input of the LA-2A
6- Use a TRS MALE to XLR FEMALE to connect the XLR output of the LA-2A to an UNUSED TRS Line Level input of the UFX (AN 1 for example). This hardware input AN 1 will be what you want to record in your DAW.

Please note that this is ONLY applicable if the LA-2A's input and output are both Line Level. I'm not sure if they are.

FF UFX - ARC - U87Ai - 828Mk3 Hybrid - Digimax FS - Tascam MH8 - MIDI Express 128, 24GB RAM, i7-3630

Re: Help inserting hardware LA2A compressor after Pre on UFX

Awesome!  Im hooking it up now.  Will report.  Thanks Michael!