1 (edited by Panamera 2012-04-28 14:39:42)

Topic: Still can't understand that RME mixer !

Guys I'm a proud new owner of Multiface 2. But I'm mad right now because I don't know why the mixer have to be SO complicated. I have 3 synths connected to the IN's of the Multiface and one AKAI MPC5000 to the SPDIF IN of the Multiface. For two days I'm trying to JUST link each of the synthesizer to his own channel in the mixer so I can be able to adjust their volumes and a channel where I can ONLY command the master volume (my monitors are connected to the OUT 1 and 2). It's so messy, you have to do 100 links in order to use 3 synths and a drum machine ! I wanna make music , not to loose my time in learning options that I don't need. I was using M Audio 192 before and it was so simple to work with it although there are some important futures that missed (that's why i bought the RME).

I read the manual , experimented and still  don't know what's the meaning of each of the 3 sections in the mixer. I just don't know where exactly should I link the out's of my synths . I don't need any routing, effects etc ....Just want to find the right channels in the mixer (and link them properly) where i can control my synths and MPC. Would you help me please !

2 (edited by Panamera 2012-04-28 17:46:21)

Re: Still can't understand that RME mixer !

Guys to be honest buying this RME was probably an big mistake . Now as I'm watching some tutorials  on youtube this thing is totally illogical and I can't imagine how would I set this mixer to record 8 simultaneously tracks via the ADAT ....Absolutely mess, I don't even see anything to move in the ADAT channels and there are no ADAT channels appeared in my DAW ( Samplitude).  This machine is made so complicated that for me is almost unusable. The intelligent things are  made with simplicity and not taking you to unwanted lands ,loosing your time and energy. The complicated things , made with too many ambitions is the childish way of doing the things. Life is too short friends !

Re: Still can't understand that RME mixer !

You do NOT need the mixer at all to record tracks into Samplitude or any other audio software. The recording path from input to software bypasses the mixer. For most applications in Samplitude, you can leave the mixer at default values and ignore it completely. Nothing to set, nothing to activate, nothing to route in the mixer for recording.

The fact that you are not seeing ADAT channels has to do with the fact that by default, Samplitude will only activate a limited number of ASIO channels. Open system settings and activate them all. This is also in no way related to the RME mixer.

If you see incoming signal in the mixer at the ADAT inputs (and Sync for ADAT In in the settings dialog), that is all you need to deal with it for now - the rest takes place and needs to be configured in Samplitude only. This includes software monitoring through the Samplitude mixer, which will let you control all your input signals in any way you wish to.

If you want to use the HDSP mixer for monitoring outside Samplitude, you will need to learn the basics, e.g. understand what the mixer's three rows represent etc. But one can work without that, too.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME