Topic: which extention module DAC for HDSP AES32

Hi
I would like to connect 2 Bel Canto DACs (4 channels) to the HDSP AES 32 digital AES outputs for playback music mids and tweeters (JRiver)
and an other 4 channels (subwoofer and woofers) using RME analog outputs.

Which extension card would I need for those 4 analog outputs ?
thanks
jacques

Re: which extention module DAC for HDSP AES32

The analog expansion boards are not compatible with the AES-32, sorry.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

The analog expansion boards are not compatible with the AES-32, sorry.

Thank you Jeff.  This would have been a alternativ solution for me.

Just for my information, what is the meaning of the "converter" possibility stated in the web site?

"the AES-32 into a powerful and easy-to-use redistributor, patchbay, router, converter, and splitter"

best
jacques

Single Wire <> Double Wire <> Quad Wire AES/EBU conversion.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

Single Wire <> Double Wire <> Quad Wire AES/EBU conversion.

OK then I accept this fact.  Now these connection types (virtual?) are confusing.

One thing I would like and others too, I'm sure, is to have a short and clear description of
"Single Wire <> Double Wire <> Quad Wire "
What is the purpose?

Addressed in the manual, of course. For instance in section 23:

The HDSP AES-32 supports all currently known formats in the range of 32 kHz up to 192 kHz, including sample multiplexing:

• Single Wire: 16 channels 32 kHz – 192 kHz. 2 channels per AES wire. The effective sample frequency equals the clock on the AES wire.
• Double Wire: 8 channels 64 kHz – 192 kHz. 1 channel per AES wire. The effective sample frequency is double the clock of the AES wire.
• Quad Wire: 4 channels 128 kHz – 192 kHz. 1 channel via 2 AES wires. The effective sample frequency is four times the clock of the AES wire.

Rearranging the formats Double and Quad Wire to Single Wire is lossless, the existing samples are just re-ordered again. Information on the distribution of the samples in Double and Quad Wire mode is found in chapter 23.2, AES/EBU Outputs.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/hdspaes32_e.pdf

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.