Topic: Serious Problem with UCX

hi,

i had a FF400 for over two years and updated to a UCX 2 months ago. everthing was working fine until now. what i mainly do is running reaper x64 on windows to record our live jams. Edrum Kit (Midi in, Superior Drummer) Guitar (Kemper Profiling Amp) and Bass (VST, Virtual Bass Room). I add a bit of Reverb (Valhhallroom) to the mastertrack. Thats it and thats what always worked flawless at low latency.

But since the last 2 jams i have seriours problem: after playing for about 15-30 minutes audio suddenly starts to "crackel", first it sounds like there is a VST overload but then it rapidly becomes worse, everthing gets totally distorted, till you can hear anything at all. this takes about 10 seconds or so. the only thing i can do about it is to open the audio settings in reaper and close the audio device. after opening it again, its gone. but when we start playing again after some time, it comes back, but only faster - like in the first 5 minutes.

hope someone can help me, thanks!

2 (edited by gtodd876 2012-05-06 13:26:03)

Re: Serious Problem with UCX

I also have had this problem. I had it while using the rme ucx as system audio to listen to a live streaming performance of the Berlin philharmonic. If I switched the sample rate in the fireface settings app to something other than 44.1 and then changed it back to 44.1 than the audio would return to normal. It also would happen in 10-12 min increments. Sounded like audio distortion from clocking issues or mismatched samples rates. I had the clock set to internal during my live streaming of audio.

I didn't report till i saw your post because I'm not sure how to reproduce the issue and I'm using the latest beta drivers. Might just need some kinks worked out.

www.toddbass.com
Macbook pro i7 15" (mid 2012) 8 gigs ram, Fireface UCX

Where did you get the Beta Drivers?

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … ac_169.zip

Not beta anymore.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok i am getting confused...

These are for mac and i am on windows. And are these the same drivers like on the main download page?

Yes and no :-)

I was wondering about gtodd's reply here as well. Are you using USB or FireWire?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

i am using USB...

Can you try the latest driver 1.022 plus firmware update? On our website. But most probably that will not fix it, as it worked before. It seems that something changed on your system. Did you check for errors in the Settings dialog when the distortion comes up?

Oh, that reminds me - you use a demo version of a VST plugin?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by busygirl 2012-05-08 14:54:48)

Hello,

I wish to join to this discussion, as i have the exact same problem but with a babyface i bought 2 month ago. It is a snow edition, the white one. After some time, i have the exact same distorted sound. It happens in logic pro 9, in itunes, in web browser, it happens randomly anywhere.

I use a mac mini i7 quad on lion.

I am on the last official drivers for my babyface and tried the fireface uc test without apparent problems.

Can you please help me ?

10 (edited by gtodd876 2012-05-09 01:44:24)

Sorry about the confusion. I am on Mac. I was just having the same symptoms. I will check for errors in the dialog if it happens again.

www.toddbass.com
Macbook pro i7 15" (mid 2012) 8 gigs ram, Fireface UCX

11 (edited by useme2305 2012-05-30 20:24:39)

i have the same problem gtodd876 and busygirl have.
i already wrote alot about it here: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14692

my latest "trick" to avoid this problem is to close the TotalMix and USB Settings apps from RME and only open them when i need to change something. try it. it works!
i think it's the TotalMix app that causes the problem randomly when it's running in the background.