Topic: UCX: blue screen and portcls.sys error on projects other than 44.1kHz

Hi guys!

Having UCX myself I suddenly discovered the same problem described here earlier with some older Fireface model:

I get BSOD and portcls.sys error report anytime when opening any Nuendo V4 project with sample frequency other than 44.1kHz! :-(
Probably this error always existed, I just rarely work with sample rates other than 44.1kHz and today I had to start a new thing in 48kHz and it was not possible to re-open the project.

My UCX is connected via USB and working in windows XP environment.
I installed the newest driver (1.022), but the problem remains.

Anyone of you guys had this kind of trouble?
Would appreciate any clue and help regarding this issue!

thanks

Girts

2 (edited by Girts 2012-05-21 18:46:34)

Re: UCX: blue screen and portcls.sys error on projects other than 44.1kHz

[img][url=http://postimage.org/image/diqbx0i3j/full/]http://s11.postimage.org/pklpr5rc3/audio_crash_any_other_than_44k_Hz.jpg

Here is the crash-analyze made via BlueScreen View. Seems that BSOD is caused by portcls.sys. Microsoft Support I contacted had no clue why something like that is happening. Well, I could blame Microsoft drivers only. But before my new UCX I used Multiface - and used it for many years without bluescreens like this one - in the same XP environment with the same Nuendo 3 and 4.

So I still believe someone among RME guys would have an input regarding this. Otherwise I have no idea how to work with rates higher than 44.1kHz.
To switch to Windows 7 would be rather a radical treatment (if no overkill)... if only that works guaranteed...

G.

Thanks to George Skalides (SKULL) I solved it.

The solution suggested by George: to replace portcls.sys with the ancient SP1 version (ca. 10 years old) of this driver file. While in Safe Mode, one has to replace the file in 2 folders:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386

Now I feel released. Thanks again, George!

G.

Glad I could help! If anyone needs the portcls.sys file that I'm using, fell free to send me an email!

Kind regards,

George