Topic: Babyface & Cubase inactive port issues

Don't know the best way to describe this, please bare with me.

Bought Babyface, hooked up, works great with Mac input and output.
Guitar into side of Babyface(guitar input).
Opened Cubase, no signal is getting to Cubase.
Sound is going out from Cubase.
Under Divice Setup Babyface is set to ASIO driver.
All my In ports are inactive. Out 1 & 2 are active.
Under VST System Link both ASIO Input and ASIO output were inactive even though Outputs 1 & 2 were said to be active somewhere else.
If I activate any inputs nothing happens.

I can't record any incoming sound. Could use some help. Thanks.

Re: Babyface & Cubase inactive port issues

Also, how do I know what input to use. There are 12 listed, which is which? I did get at least 1 side of the volume to go through, but only 1 at a time. Couldn't figure out how to do that again after trying.

Reading the BF manual will help you find out how to choose the instrument input (hint: in the mixer's channel settings) and how to keep the various inputs apart.
The Cubase manual will explain how to activate input channels and create busses.

If you can "get at least 1 side of the volume to go through", then that is already success, since the guitar is a mono signal source. You can pan the signal in Cubase or in the BF mixer for monitoring.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the feedback, but that doesn't help at all. In the past it seemed like things just sync'd up. This is an aggravating over complicated procedure. Totalmix was one reason I was hesitant to get a Babyface. But I guess it is worth it when you can at least get a signal though.

You do not need to concern yourself with Totalmix at all for the process of recording and playback in Cubase. Essentially, you can leave it at default and ignore it, with the exception of the (simple) choice of the instrument input for channel 2.
The rest of the "complicated procedure" (activating inputs) is a matter of the Cubase configuration.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Found the answer in the link below in the last post. Same thing I went through.
http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi … 67080de3f2

This doesn't seem to make a lot of sense... The Loopback feature is only needed for recording the playback of Cubase (or another software) back into audio software. It is not required for recording signals sources connected to physical inputs, such as your guitar.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

This doesn't seem to make a lot of sense... The Loopback feature is only needed for recording the playback of Cubase (or another software) back into audio software. It is not required for recording signals sources connected to physical inputs, such as your guitar.

Yeah, I figured that out after recording a little. The signal came through and I though I was good until I recorded with some other tracks and they came through the mix as well, so that didn't work at all. Still can't get the signal to come through. Been reading a lot of manual stuff, watching tutorials, etc. and not getting anywhere.

RME Support wrote:

You do not need to concern yourself with Totalmix at all for the process of recording and playback in Cubase. Essentially, you can leave it at default and ignore it, with the exception of the (simple) choice of the instrument input for channel 2.

I was reading back through what you said and I figured it out. Channel 2. In the VST connections in Cubase it was on channel 1 mono. Thanks, sorry for my poor understanding of this kind of stuff. It is always a simple answer, but the process of how to set this stuff up always baffles me. Everything beyond that(mixing, editing, etc.) I have no problem with.