Topic: Fireface UFX no sound out in stand alone mode

New Fireface UFX User here but long time RME Customer with no issues.

Just unpacked my new UFX unit, came loaded with SW Ver. 1.47  (How old is this ?)
The unit is a newer version with the factory installed receptacle for the New remote controller.

Here are my questions and issues.

Questions:

1..Should the ufx be totally functional in stand alone mode "right out of the box", not yet connected to a computer.
  (The computer I want to use it with is away for servicing)

2..If the answer is yes, then I am not sure what I am missing in the manual.

The unit records just fine to Verbatim USB Stick, no errors reported.

The initial test recording is being done through inputs 1 & 2 on the rear of the unit.

The Problem:

>>>No matter what I do I cannot get any sound out of the unit, headphones or main outs.

Recording levels are displayed on front meters / no activity is being displayed on any of the output meters.

While recording >>or on playback from the usb stick after the fact…

Factory default setup recalled…

Headphone levels & main out levels have been checked; No mutesd active.

No matter what I do I just can’t get the unit to output any sound. 
Neither Headphone monitoring of recording , main output monitoring of recording OR playback after the recording has completed.

What have I missed here, or do I have a defective unit?

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Garth

Re: Fireface UFX no sound out in stand alone mode

You have to route the channels you want to listen to the main outs or headphone outputs. I doubt it's a good start to work with such a powerful routing tool, like the UFX TotalMix, in stand alone mode. It's possible, but no comparison to the comfortable setup with the TotalMix GUI on a connected computer.

To play your already recorded tracks from the USB stick, you can
a) Choose track 1/2 to play on the input channels 1 and 2 and route those tracks to all outputs, which should play this tracks.
b) Choose track 1/2 to play directly on the output channels 1 and 2.

Setup b) Go to the channel menu, select the channel (e. g. analog output 1/2) and choose the recorded track to play on this channel:
- Press the "Channel" button
- Choose "Analog Out 1/2" (knob 1) / "Settings" below (knob 2)
- Scroll down to "Play Channel" (Press knob 2)
- Select the recorded track from the stick (turn knob 2)

If you already have the recorded signal on a playback or input channel (check peakmeters) route this channel to the analog output with
- Channel menu
- Select Mix - "Channel name" (e.g. Analog In)
- Scroll down to the channel with the signal. E. g. Analog 1 Vol, Analog 2 Vol.
- In the default setup the volume setting shows -00dB, this means no signal is routed to the output channel. Turn the knob to set a send volume.

Keep in mind, TotalMix can route any input and playback channel to all output channels at the same time with an individual send level! On a traditional mixer a track is routed to submixes and the master output. The fader controls the level for all of these routing targets. If you set the level to -6 dB all busses and the master get a -6 dB signal. In TotalMix every target can get a different send level. This is a very useful and worldwide unique feature, but this means you not have to press a routing button and listen to the signal - like on a traditional mixer. You have to select the output and raise the faders of all channels you want to route to this channel. Otherwise there will be no sound on this output.

best regards
Knut

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Due to the time zones I posted the first questions just before going to bed, I’m a late night person.

later tomorrow / I will review what you have suggested and see if I can get it working.

I actually purchased this unite because of the stand alone feature, for use with video productions.     
Although I will also use it at times with a Laptop & external eSata Hard Drive.
MacBook pro running OS 10.5.8 Leopard

Another Question:

1..When I recall factory default does this also reset the settings under the AD/DA setup recall option?
     Control room settings etc.
>>>Can you explain the AD/DA setup dialogue a little for me, seems simple but perhaps I have missed something.

2..Is there a link where the UFX stand alone settings are explained "in full detail", the manual does not say very much.
    I already watched one online video with Matthias explaining stand alone settings but it did not seem to cover detailed output & playback settings.

3..  The SW version listed for my unit 1.4 / could that be an issue / is that the firmware listing / how old is that ?

Your assistance is most appreciated / Woodstock Generation survivor here, still at it.

Thank You Sir !

I will report back when I have time to re-check your suggested settings.
Won't have time to do it today, my birthday here.
The UFX was a birthday present to me from me.:-)

Garth

RME Digiface user x2 with multiple banks of ADI-Pro DS units.
>>Might have a  few questions on setup recomendations for adding a couple ADI-Pro units to the UFX interface.
>>>Will post that in a seperate thread after I get all this figured out.

Hi, I had the same problem some time ago and made a little tutorial that you can find here : Tutorial
Hope this helps,
Happy birthday to you,

Philippe

1. The AD/DA setup option is another factory default snapshot for the UFX, setting it as a 12 channel AD/DA converter with the typical routings (ADAT Inputs to Analog outs / Analog Inputs to ADAT out). If you choose another preset snapshot the settings and routings will be changed. You should create a setup for your needs with all routings and effects and save it as a user snapshot in the UFX.

2. All UFX and TotalMix settings are explained in the manual. The display operation is just the stand-alone way to access them. They are not explained in all detail, because we don't expect that somebody wants to drive the UFX completely without a connected computer. I think it's best to ask if you don't know how to setup a feature.

3. The current firmware versions of the Fireface UFX are:
USB connection 352
FireWire connection 341
DSP 151

Your firmware is probably not the latest one, but works with all current UFX features. You can update your UFX to the latest one via a connected USB cable with a computer.

best regards
Knut

Thanks Philippe and Knut for the helpful information.

Good tutorial Philippe, nothing wrong with your English.:cool:

Did not have much free time today but have had some success, I now have sound in the phones.

Still cannot get sound from the main analog stereo XLR outputs, but I will find it somehow..

The stand alone feature is the main attraction for me, I just want to track live events for video work. (I'm also the videographer.)

This will not be used as in a regular studio tracking setup, I have all that covered with my main system when needed

Will not need headphone outs for the players or anything like that, just want a tracking device to route signals to, set levels and push record?
Sometimes mic lines in from preamps and sometimes line outs from the live mix board.

Won't need any of the built in effects eiter, unless it has a fairly transparent limiter to put on all incomming tracks.
I prefer to just leave lots of headroom, always good to have something there for when the unexpected happens.
All mixing will be done with my other RME studio System.

Anxious to see of the unit will take hot main line & or aux feeds from a FOH board without needing pads on the inputs ?     
Any user feedback on that topic.

Thanks again folks / will keep you posted on how I am making out later this week.

Garth

Hi Garth,
Do you mean you want to control the submixs going to Analog output 1/2 and /or the phones whiel in stand alone.
Basically using the UFX as a 1U mixer/

If so then the Sub Mix is controlled on the Output channels.
1. Press the channel button
2. Turn Button 1 till you come to Analog Out 1/2
3. Turn Button 2 till you get to "Analog Mix In"
4. Press Button 2 once to put you on "Analog 1 Vol"
5. Turn Button 2 to the right until you have the desired SubMix level.
6. Press Button 2 twice until you are on "Analog 2 Vol"
7. Repeat steps  4- 6 for each Analog Input channel you wish to send to Analog Outputs 1/2

If you want to submix the AES and ADAT Inputs to Analog Output 1/2 do the following.
Press Button 1 until you return to the main Mix In menu
Turn Button 2 to the right until you see Mix AES In or Mix ADAT In
Repeat the steps 4-7 described for the Analog In sub mixes.

You can also repeat all f this for your Phones outs or any other output.
Press Button 1 until you return to the main Mix menu
Turn Button 1 to the desired Out channel
Turn Button 2 to the right until you get to "Analog Mix In"
Repeat the needed steps from the other sections.

FYI- It will be easiest to set all this up on the computer first and save it to memory on the UFX.
Then just use the front panel to fine tune levels.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Hi Chris:

I sure am receiving a lot of helpful information here.
What you have told me is definitely most useful in some situations & I will use a computer with the UFX at some point.

Here is my intended use of the UFX for Live recordings for my video works:

In some of my work:

I go to live concerts where a well-equipped sound crew is usually already in place.
From them I usually take line outs from each channel of their sound board (if available). 

If not , I take a two track direct out from a split of their main Mix, plus perhaps a matrix mix of the drum kit plus a feed of just vocals only,

I do not do anything with this except track it, >>to be mixed later on my main non UFX RME system..

I will need to be able to hear each track soloed: 
>>>Is there a quick way to do this in stand alone mode / Solo a particular incoming signal ?

In these situations I will not be doing any type of sub mixes, I will usually not need to hear a well balanced mix when tracking.

There will be no feeds of any type being sent from the UFX to the players.
The location sound crew takes care of all that, if needed.

Hope I have explained this so you will better understand my intended use, at least for now.

Again:

Everyone’s assistance has been most appreciated..

I should have time in the next couple of days to get this all sorted out.

Thanks.
Garth

FYI:  I used to do this with a portable digital board, output to a MacBook pro.  But the dam thing was not dependable and totally let me down on an important gig.  I bought the UFX for a more reliable interface to replace that.  I know It is not going to be as quick and easy to setup, at least at first.  I just hope it can fill the need.

Remember I will be adding my RME ADI-8 DS units to this setup when more tracks are needed..

Not sure how many tracks USB-2 can stream in standalone mode ? 
24 would do just fine in most situations.

Your setup is no problem for the UFX. Just set it up like described above one time and save it as a snapshot in the UFX. Done.

I will need to be able to hear each track soloed:
>>>Is there a quick way to do this in stand alone mode / Solo a particular incoming signal ?

Solo is not accessable in stand-alone mode. Mute (all other inputs) is.

Not sure how many tracks USB-2 can stream in standalone mode ?

All 60 - to/from a connected computer. For USB recording of 24 tracks you probably need an USB HD, USB sticks suffer from technical flaws and most canot record big track numbers without errors. Search the forum for experiences with selected USB sticks.

best regards
Knut

I am new to the UFX and figuring out the stand alone features.

I am able to record onto USB fine, but, when I play back the file from the USB on the UFX, I don't hear any sound on my speakers.

Can someone help me out?

Garth wrote:

New Fireface UFX User here but long time RME Customer with no issues.

Just unpacked my new UFX unit, came loaded with SW Ver. 1.47  (How old is this ?)
The unit is a newer version with the factory installed receptacle for the New remote controller.

Here are my questions and issues.

Questions:

1..Should the ufx be totally functional in stand alone mode "right out of the box", not yet connected to a computer.
  (The computer I want to use it with is away for servicing)

2..If the answer is yes, then I am not sure what I am missing in the manual.

The unit records just fine to Verbatim USB Stick, no errors reported.

The initial test recording is being done through inputs 1 & 2 on the rear of the unit.

The Problem:

>>>No matter what I do I cannot get any sound out of the unit, headphones or main outs.

Recording levels are displayed on front meters / no activity is being displayed on any of the output meters.

While recording >>or on playback from the usb stick after the fact…

Factory default setup recalled…

Headphone levels & main out levels have been checked; No mutesd active.

No matter what I do I just can’t get the unit to output any sound. 
Neither Headphone monitoring of recording , main output monitoring of recording OR playback after the recording has completed.

What have I missed here, or do I have a defective unit?

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Garth

http://ProfCouch.us/

You have to enable the Tracks for Playback and route them correctly. Read the manual, it´s all well explained there.

On p. 49, all that the manual says is the following:

26.6 Stand-Alone Recorder/Player
The UFX can be used for recording as well as playback of audio signals. As all settings are
available directly at the unit it is possible to record a live concert completely without a computer.
Music copied that was copied to a USB stick before can be played back anytime. Of course
both in combination to any of the other examples above!

That's not the explicit instructions I need.  I continue to have the problem: I press play and no sound comes out on my speakers.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufx_e.pdf

Page 88.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, I already read pp. 87-88 and explored those two screens on the interface extensively.

I now discovered that you must specify the outputs in TotalMix.  I don't see a way to edit the outputs for the USB play when the unit is in standalone.

In any case, I've set the outputs with TotalMix and got it working now.  Thanks.

It's called 'Play Channel' in the CHANNEL - Settings. Not quite sure how to overlook that one, there are others much more hidden...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That comment made my day :-)

Great.  Got it! 

I was expecting it in the METER-USB screen, where it says "Enable Rec/Play ON".  But, my mistake, it's logical to have it under CHANNEL.

..now off to try to do submixes on the phones 9/10 with standalone...

Sorry to take up your time!