Topic: FF400 problem.

m hooking it up to my macbook pro OSX 10.6.8. I cant quite remember the date of this computer but I remember I got it (new) not long after the new shape came out. I have downloaded the latest drivers and firmware.

Here’s what’s happening:

In logic pro, i tunes and any other sound source I hear occasional short bursts of sound and that’s it! I am just listening through the headphones at the moment as my monitors are all packed away for a house move. In logic I get an error message saying "synchronisation error sample rate 431230 (this number varies) detected......"

The fireface is set to 44.1 (as is logic), Master, word clock

Re: FF400 problem.

anyone? - i have found people raising similar problems but no responses that fix mine. in properties Iv 3.08 unit 1.71. the red host light is flashing on the unit. Nothing seems to change that. someone please help!!

Sounds like your MBP has the defective Agere FW chipset:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4986
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1475

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

thanks. i have tried connecting it through my External lacie HD using 2 x FW400 - 800 Leads. still the same problem. do i have to use that particular cable? Also, im not sure i actually understand the link you sent me?

What model/year is your Macbook Pro?

Hi. it is a MacBook Pro 15-inch, Late 2008

Then it's likely to have the FW chipset problem mentioned in the form threads linked above.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I'm having the same problems with intermittent disconnections and the red light / host. What's going on with my ff400?

9 (edited by worldshed 2012-06-09 11:51:12)

Hi

I have gone through these links. i have tried a fw400 - 800 cable direct to the computer and via a lacie external hard drive using 2 x 400 - 800 cables. still the same problem. am i missing something? Is there something else i need to do?

martin

10 (edited by 7thkey 2012-06-11 21:40:03)

RME Support wrote:

Then it's likely to have the FW chipset problem mentioned in the form threads linked above.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Please, I need support. It has nothing to do with what is mentioned in that thread.
I can't work with this strange behavior.
My FF400 only has 2 years and one month old.
My specs: Macbook Pro 15" late 2007 commonly known as Santa Rosa., Dual Core 2.4, 6GB RAM, TI FW based chipset.
Tested on Lion 10.7.4, Bootcamp Windows 7 and of course using RME FW400 cable and another cable LaCie FW400->FW800 with the same results except for the Windows system that disconnects over longer periods...

Adding to the test I've tried with another modern laptop, Macbook Pro 15" late 2010 with Lion 10.7.4

I forgot to mention that all tests have been made with the latest drivers, firmware and repaired permissions.

Why is this happening?
Any ideas?

worldshed wrote:

Hi

I have gone through these links. i have tried a fw400 - 800 cable direct to the computer and via a lacie external hard drive using 2 x 400 - 800 cables. still the same problem. am i missing something? Is there something else i need to do?

The late 2008 Unibody Macbooks use the FW chipset that is buggy. If your Lacie drive does not bridge the interface properly then your best bet is to get the Lindy FW repeater cable. It worked flawlessly when I had that MBP and now is still in use on new models to extend cable length.

7thkey wrote:

Please, I need support. It has nothing to do with what is mentioned in that thread.

Then congratulations on hijacking a thread that has nothing to do with your specific issue. fryingpan

I'm having the same problems with intermittent disconnections and the red light / host. What's going on with my ff400?

Did you try a different Firewire cable yet?

Timur Born wrote:
7thkey wrote:

Then congratulations on hijacking a thread that has nothing to do with your specific issue. fryingpan

Did you try a different Firewire cable yet?

Hi Timur, thanks for responding.
Like I said briefly in my previous post, I used a new cable LaCie FW400->FW800 on a FW800 port on MacBook for another testing and the audio is turned off and on every few minutes at random, may be periods of 1 or 5 minutes.

I've tested the cables with external hard drives and it seems to operate properly.

14 (edited by Timur Born 2012-06-12 12:47:54)

If the disconnect happen with different cables on different computers and different operating systems then it seems likely that your Fireface might be broken. Best to contact your local dealer (or RME distributor) and ask them for an analysis. As far as I remember this costs 35 EUR in Germany (Daniel, correct me if I'm wrong), so it's neither free nor too expensive.

Timur Born wrote:
worldshed wrote:

Hi

The late 2008 Unibody Macbooks use the FW chipset that is buggy. If your Lacie drive does not bridge the interface properly then your best bet is to get the Lindy FW repeater cable. It worked flawlessly when I had that MBP and now is still in use on new models to extend cable length.

Is there a particular brand thats best?

Martin

You can get the Lindy cable from Lindy: http://www.lindy.com/ wink