Topic: Hammerfall 9632 to Dangerous D-box Input

I'm wanting to hookup my RME 9632 PCI card, 8 channels out, to a Dangerous D-box (25 pin Dsub using TASCAM standard), so I have some questions. I'm still new to digital type hookups, having come from the old analog days of the '70's. I've searched the forum and haven't found clear info on the TDIF format for TEB to know if it's the same standard as the Dsub format like the Dangerous Dbox uses.

This is what the Dangerous D-box manual says about their 25 pin IN connector:

"This 25 way ‘D’ connector uses the Tascam Standard for 8 channels of balanced analog input."

1. I'm assuming the TDIF is... the Tascam Standard Dsub format, correct?

2. What sound quality or conversion difference does using the TEB expansion create vs. using the standard outs on the RME 9632 PCI card?

thanks.

Re: Hammerfall 9632 to Dangerous D-box Input

This won't work... The TEB is a digital connection in (also Tascam's) TDIF format. The D-Box has got an analog 25-pin connector.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by waveheavy 2012-06-02 23:43:05)

Re: Hammerfall 9632 to Dangerous D-box Input

Thanks. I just learned some more about the loose usage of "Tascam standard". TDIF is Tascam's digital standard for their old DA-88, DA-38 type 8trk tape recorder interfaces, etc. Dsub or DB-25 appears to be called a Tascam standard also, but for Analog.

Now what I'm confused about is the AES standard, since I thought it was for digital transfer of only 2-channels stereo. The Lynx Aurora 8 uses 8 channels transfered through AES/EBU IO (as also 8 analog through ADAT, or DB-25 (Tascam standard).

Question: so, does RME make an expansion for Hammerfall 9632 card to send 8 channels OUT through AES/EBU?