1 (edited by KJS108 2012-06-05 13:19:01)

Topic: FF800 dropouts, glitches with certain audio sources

Hello,

I have owned a FF800 for about a 2 years now and it has always performed perfectly up until maybe 8 months ago or so.

I have no issues with the connection/audio streaming within DAW's like Ableton and any others that I own and use, Any of my localized playback devices like Zune, Windows Media, etc.  The same goes for all of my VST's, everything performs flawlessly. I use the unit as my sole audio device.

However I am constantly getting audio dropouts/glitches/error messages (the occasional BSOD as well with error message IRQ not less or equal message )within internet based audio/video sites like Youtube, Amazon Instant Video, etc.(not Netflix though). Up until recently sound sources like these would get glitchy, skip and eventually just freeze where I would have to shut down the FF and restart it, along with whatever instance I had open and start all over again. I did some research and changed my firewire driver over from TI to the Legacy drivers, which solved the audio source from freezing completely, but I still get all the errors and audio hiccups. I have disabled the internal audio card and the unimodem half-duplex audio device ( have tried to disable within BIOS but to no avail), have performed various other tweaks recommended, but still get the same issues.

Currently running Windows 7 Professional service pack 1 64 bit OS

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50 GHz for both

4GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS graphics card

**FF800 running 3.067 driver and 2.77 hardware revision**

Any other info I can provide as needed

Does anyone have any ideas/solutions to this issue? I would reeeeeeaaallly like to solve this problem as it's pretty frustrating.

Thanks!!!

Re: FF800 dropouts, glitches with certain audio sources

- Make sure the Windows power-profile is "High Performance" and *not* "Balanced".

- Try a different Firewire port/card, yours may be broken even when it worked before.

- Try without the NVidia driver by changing to the Microsoft "Standard VGA Driver" via Device-Manager. This is for analysis purpose, I know it's not something you want to work with all day. wink

3 (edited by KJS108 2012-06-05 15:12:14)

Timur,

Thanks for the reply. Windows power profile is already set to high performance, I've also disabled the battery which I never use, as the laptop stays put. I can try using the standard VGA driver as opposed to the NVidia. However, why would I change the firewire card if it works fine with all the other listed software/websites? To me that would say it's not broken, but something conflicting somewhere causing all the errors with the FF. Thanks again!

Does "errors" also refer to the errors counter in the FF settings dialog?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by KJS108 2012-06-05 15:47:07)

Hi Daniel, 

Thank you for the help. Yes, the errors I mentioned earlier also refer to the error counter from the FF settings dialog as well as receiving the occasional blue screen error stating the IRQ is not less or equal to. Sorry I meant to edit that post to clarify. Thanks again!

-Kevin Seidel

The errors counter clearly points to the FW connection. Have you tried limiting bandwidth in the settings?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

In the bandwidth section on the FF settings I have selected Analog 1-8 seeing that I do not use the ADAT or SPDIF at the moment. Thanks for the reply!

-Kevin

Daniel,

Also if it helps the firewire PCI express card I have is a Startech 2 port firewire 400. I also just spoke to Dan @ ADK Computers where I purchased the laptop from and he suggested to set the WDM setting to 1 in the FF settings. I'm not sure if it already is setup that way or not, but I'll check it when I get home. Thanks again!

Also check another cable.