Topic: Babyface input1 buzz issue

hello everyone,

i've searched this forum for post regarding my problem, but haven't found any posts so here we go.. maybe some of you have experienced the same problem..

following scenario...

i've had to record a concert last night.. so i hooked up following equipment:

macbook pro late 2011, 10.7.4
babyface firmware: 185, driver 1.72.
two schoeps condenser mics.

did soundcheck..

first issue: both mics were in the same spot (small AB). both gained with 30dB. no hum. BUT: analog input 1 had approx. 7dB less input than input 2 (checked in totalmix and digicheck). weird but .. ok ... i raised the first input gain to match the second one...

testrecording.. everything ok...

showtime... hook up the MacBooks power supply.. ooppss .. buzzing .. ok .. i plugged it in to the light-circuit (don't whats the word in english.. german: stormversorgung kam von lichtstromnetz.. ging nicht anders..)

oh gee.. i hear a buzz.. hmm.. BUT.. only on input 1 (!)... input 2 works perfect.. no hum..

both mics and cables had no issue.. i inverted the micsettings (mic a into input 2 and vice versa).. same thing ..

has anybody had this problem ? any thoughts ? solutions?

thanks for answering...

mob

Re: Babyface input1 buzz issue

Were you using the 1m extension cable on the breakout?  The first version of this cable had shielding problems.  But it also prevented phantom-powered mics from powering up.  Doesn't seem to be the case here.

There can also be a grounding issue with the 15-pin connector on some units.  Both these issues have been covered in previous posts.

Otherwise there may be an issue with the breakout cable itself.  Finally it could be a fault in the BabyFace - which you should be able to find in tests at home.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum