Topic: Using room correction with Fireface 800 an Windows 7-64

So I just discovered the Windows 7 room correction tab to "improve" the sound (windows->Control panel->sound->driver->properties->enhancements->room correction) and I wonder if someone can handhold me through this without screwing it up. Usually when I read you guys discussions, it's like I'm reading Lituanian when I speak Polynesian. I do notice the care that vinyl is getting. Thanks.

Re: Using room correction with Fireface 800 an Windows 7-64

I think that relates only to your onboard soundcard not the RME, wont make any difference if you are not using your onboard sound  - which you shouldnt be really. A

3 (edited by alexoosthoek 2012-06-13 01:28:01)

If you want real room correction for your monitors, get IK multimedia ARC, it works.

-----------------------

Various ADK computers :-)

+1 on that, its a real bargain these days too. Dont bother with anything else.

Unfortunately, ARC only works with DAWs (such as Pro Tools®, Cubase™, Logic™, Sonar™, Live™, etc.) and I don't want to have to use it individually on every program I use. I want the room correction to work with Spotify and Media Monkey and SoundForge and Sonar, etc., but I want it installed post- so that it operates through the Fireface mixer and corrects anything that goes through it. I know there is a solution here, I'm just hoping one of the geniuses who really know the programs will help out. Perhaps you members fit those criteria. I was unclear in how I formulated my question, so hopefully this clarification will help a bit. Thanks again.

6 (edited by stoolzo 2012-06-14 00:11:31)

aint going to happen fella, there is no such software for windows. Best option is to accoustically treat your room until you get music and films sounding how you want it and then let arc make the final tweaks for mastering you own tunes, you probably dont want mistakes in other peoples music popping out when you are listening anyway, if anything you want your room to colour your listening and watching experience in in a postive way and have arc provide a flat response just for mastering purposes. I have it setup that way and its perfect for me, music sounds fat and bassy, films have just the right amount of earthquake sub, i'm using genelec 8040's with a Sub, with a couple of 8030's for rears, massive overkill for the rears as I only use them for films but they look great. smile

Note however, anything that can host a VST will work with arc, it isnt just for DAWS, bear that in mind when choosing an audio editor.

You actually -can- use the Windows 7 room correction with the Fireface, but I wouldn't recommend it.

only works on onboard sound, totally useless.

Thanks everyone. I know there's a lot of controversy here. My feeling is treat your room as best you can, but then programs like Audyssey (what underlies ARC and many others) works fair miracles. The outboard they make costs a small fortune and is only useful in mixing/mastering because of delay problems BUT it does work. My hope is to find soething that I could at least try, scrap if I don't like, but at least try.

Thanks.