1 (edited by d101 2012-06-20 20:08:24)

Topic: Insert Channel Option

Hi,
I want to buy a Fireface UC but I'm not sure if I can still use my compressor. For now I've been using a Mixer where my Mic was pluged in, and the Compressor also via Insert. I don't want to use a Mixer anymore tho. So now my question would be, if I can Insert the Compressor into the Fireface UC, so that my recordings comming in through the Mic run through the Compressor first and then into my Mac ?! Is there an option to get the Compressor Hooked up ? It was used to be pluged in via some Y-Cable into my Mixer.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
The Compressor is supposed to be used WHILE I'm recording, meaning "live", the things sung into the Microphone should run through the Compressor and then into my Mac/DAW. The DAW I'm using would be Pro Tools!

Re: Insert Channel Option

d101 wrote:

Hi,
I want to buy a Fireface UC but I'm not sure if I can still use my compressor. For now I've been using a Mixer where my Mic was pluged in, and the Compressor also via Insert. I don't want to use a Mixer anymore tho. So now my question would be, if I can Insert the Compressor into the Fireface UC, so that my recordings comming in through the Mic run through the Compressor first and then into my Mac ?! Is there an option to get the Compressor Hooked up ? It was used to be pluged in via some Y-Cable into my Mixer.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
The Compressor is supposed to be used WHILE I'm recording, meaning "live", the things sung into the Microphone should run through the Compressor and then into my Mac/DAW. The DAW I'm using would be Pro Tools!

What sort of compressor is it?

What are the inputs and outputs?

If you are using a dynamic mic and the comp has xlr ins then you could try running your mic into the comp then into your interface.

A better option I think would be to run your mic directly into the interface, then use another set of i/o as an insert to run your compressor. record and listen to this returned signal.

Isaac P

Re: Insert Channel Option

Hi its a DBX 166XL Compressor. It has a 1/4" TRS and XLR for Input Option as well as for Output. No its actually a condenser microphone, at my Home Studio.

A better option I think would be to run your mic directly into the interface, then use another set of i/o as an insert to run your compressor. record and listen to this returned signal.

But I guess this will work! smile
I will have to get the 48V from the interface for the Microphone anyway. And since the mic is already connected directly to the interface, it would make sense to send the signal to an output, leading into the compressor. From there on I would have to return the compressed signal and use it in my DAW. I just hope it will be as easy as described :S

THANKS!!!