1 (edited by TheNoize 2012-06-21 06:53:50)

Topic: New Fireface UC! But what is this noise on Mic 1?

I bought a Fireface UC, installed with new firmware and drivers, and took it for a test drive, plugging my Shure SM7 into mic preamp 1.

As I dialed the gain up to about 50 in TotalMix, I noticed a high-pitched whine in Mic 1 that can't be heard on the other input (Mic 2).

Here is a group-normalized recording of Mic 2 (for reference), followed by the whine in Mic 1: http://soundcloud.com/jongrand/highpitch-rme-uc-mic1

All output/inputs to my UC are balanced. Using it with a Mac Pro 4,1.
Please help! I hope it's just some RF issue of coincidence with mic/cable/input 1. If I got ANOTHER faulty unit, after so many years getting different interfaces with different issues, I'll completely lose faith in all these audio brands. How could RME miss something like this in QC? And why me - again? sad

2 (edited by TheNoize 2012-06-22 06:39:57)

Re: New Fireface UC! But what is this noise on Mic 1?

Update:

The more I analyse this, the stranger it seems:
- With my SM7b, gain at 50dB:
   Mic 1 has a high pitch whine. Mic 2 is quiet.
- With a cheap large condenser, gain at 50dB:
   Mic 1 is passable, with some hum. Mic 2 has more than double the audible hum than Mic 1.

Is this intentional (different impedances, etc?)?
Is it faulty preamp chip?
Is it software?
Power?

I tried several outputs and several usb cables plugged to several different connections (powered hub and direct to computer), and the noises don't change in characteristic.
Also, with a preamp in front (UA 710), using the lines 1 and 2, there is no noise with any of the mics, which indicates either faulty preamp chip or mic/preamp impedance mismatch...

Thanks for reading.

Faulty preamp chip. Please contact your dealer.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by TheNoize 2012-06-22 17:30:11)

Thanks for the reply! 
It was a new, in-the-box unit purchased on ebay, and the seller had limited quantities. Is there a way I could get a replacement from RME directly? I'm in California...

The problem with returning it to the dealer is that it would be sold as a new unit again on ebay to someone else, hurting RMEs reputation, and hurting the buyer. I'd be more comfortable with getting a replacement from a representative directly, so this doesn't happen again to someone else.

Also, I'm concerned about the new unit not being significantly better. What if I go through all the trouble and find out it's a common RME QA problem with most interfaces? I think I should talk to someone from RME about this.

You are talking to RME. Contact the reseller for exchange, they will deal with the return to RME.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

7 (edited by TheNoize 2012-06-22 19:41:00)

Thanks, Jeff!

Just FYI, the reseller will NOT deal with the return to RME - in fact, they already placed another returned Fireface UC, re-wrapped in the box, for sale on ebay. Just letting you know, if you don't deal with this exchange now, you will eventually, unless it's sold to a non-discerning customer.

For professional audio devices, I would expect RME to at least try to control bad units in the market! Now it makes sense why it's so hard to find a pro audio interface in good condition online, these days.

The reseller has made clear they are OK with a return, but that all the other UCs they have are from "the same lot", hinting they possibly have the same problem. Is this a possibility? Is RME's quality control done by the lot, or by the individual unit?

I bought it from them because they're selling at a decent discount, coming out to about $1000 for new units. But it's still expensive audio gear, so I want to bring that to your attention. I work with marketing teams and healthcare devices in california to improve business models and brand recognition, so I'm pretty OCD about this type of issues. Just letting you know, bad duds hurt your customer base, also hurting your brand.

Thanks!

It sounds like your unit had a failure of the preamp chip. This does not indicate anything about the rest of the lot, nor is it a common issue.

The reseller should contact us for testing and exchange or credit. If you would like to send your unit to us directly, you can do this too. However, you'll have to wait for bench testing in that case.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

It sounds like your unit had a failure of the preamp chip. This does not indicate anything about the rest of the lot, nor is it a common issue.

The reseller should contact us for testing and exchange or credit. If you would like to send your unit to us directly, you can do this too. However, you'll have to wait for bench testing in that case.

Great, thanks! I already contacted the seller, and will try an exchange, since they still have a lot of UCs boxed up. If it's not a common issue I'll cross fingers and hope the next one is perfect! I'll let them know

Hello,
I am having a similar experience on guitar input of my Babyface.
It appears just after some use.

I also have an UC and it doesn't show this problem when using the same guitar, cables, pedalboard and so on.

Is it the same preamp issue as this thread opener ?

thanks,
Luca

Unguitar 2009 wrote:

Hello,

I also have an UC and it doesn't show this problem when using the same guitar, cables, pedalboard and so on.

thanks,
Luca

I would guess not, just because it seemed an isolated issue with microphone preamp stage only.

I sent mine back for an exchange, so I'm keeping my fingers very crossed. I hate the feeling.

One bad point for RME's quality control right there, no matter what excuse they have. And seems like yours is the same way. If the one I get in return has issues too, then I'll just try to look for something else hmm Fantastic unit besides that, tho. It's a real shame.

well,
I think it is more than ten years now since I had my first Rme product and since then I have always upgraded and expanded my sound cards keeping Rme at top of my choices.

Anytime I had to decide for a new card I verified what was available on the market, checked the specs and surfed the net for those risky divings through many superficial discussions to end up with:
-I have always found Rme products to be simply and perfectly reliable and very high quality
-The only time I had an issue it took 2 weeks to have it fixed ( I have owned 6 Rme products so far)
-They listen and reply
This is enough for me to consider my personal and true experience as something I better remember whenever I should be on the market for an audio card.

If I was you I would be serene and relaxed, I would be surprised if there was a technical problem they wouldn't want to fix.

my best,
Luca

13 (edited by TheNoize 2012-06-24 22:57:59)

Unguitar 2009 wrote:

well,
I think it is more than ten years now since I had my first Rme product and since then I have always upgraded and expanded my sound cards keeping Rme at top of my choices.

Anytime I had to decide for a new card I verified what was available on the market, checked the specs and surfed the net for those risky divings through many superficial discussions to end up with:
-I have always found Rme products to be simply and perfectly reliable and very high quality
-The only time I had an issue it took 2 weeks to have it fixed ( I have owned 6 Rme products so far)
-They listen and reply
This is enough for me to consider my personal and true experience as something I better remember whenever I should be on the market for an audio card.

If I was you I would be serene and relaxed, I would be surprised if there was a technical problem they wouldn't want to fix.

my best,
Luca

Comforting words! Which means I'll feel even worse if the returning unit has a problem too tongue lol

I hope I have a similar experience, because I'm tired of looking for the reliability holy grail in audio hardware smile Apart from the tiny preamp issue, it was a very stable unit, with real drivers unlike Avid hardware.

I could have just ignored the noise and got an ADAT preamp and a power conditioner, but I would always feel stupid, because the UC isn't cheap, and I think I deserve to get a good one if I'm paying for it.
Kind of weird how unlucky I've been with interfaces in general hmm

Cheers!

TheNoize wrote:
Unguitar 2009 wrote:

thanks,
Luca

I would guess not, just because it seemed an isolated issue with microphone preamp stage only.

I think it is, because the Babyface routes all input signals through the mic preamps. But then the noise should be there also when using line or mic input. I never heard of broken guitar inputs with the BF.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,
I am back to the studio and I can investigate this better.
What can I do to better check it ?
thanks,
Luca

Check if the noise is only at certain gain settings. Check with the current noisy gain setting that switching to Line shows the same noise.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well, I already got the replacement UC, and seems to be working great! smile Good luck with your Babyface.

Also, please check out the icons I designed today for the RME software (I wanted to make my dock prettier since they'll be popping up a lot when I start writing again).

Let me know your thoughts:  http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=74600

Well,
I did some really deep tests and I have come to the conclusion there should be a serious ground problem in my electric system.

Infact I tested the Babyface in all possible conditions like feeding it with signal coming through pedalboard or direct, different audio cables, different usb cables, with laptop and with deskstop, laptop with power or batteries: always the same issue.
Then I took my UC, and tested it and immediately found the same kind of noise.
Did the same routine as my BF and got the same results.

At the end I began to move the sound card and when touching it with my fingers the noise went out.
So I tested the other sound card in the same condition and got the same result.

Wow, something must have happened to my electric system !
This is crazy, but I am happy to have found that my music tools are fine.
Sorry if I caused any false alarm.

Now it's time to fight the electric ghosts !
Any advice is more than welcome.

thanks,
Luca

MC wrote:

Check if the noise is only at certain gain settings. Check with the current noisy gain setting that switching to Line shows the same noise.