1 (edited by Wiz 2012-06-28 08:14:14)

Topic: UCX no sound on iMac via firewire but works via USB

Weird
My UCX has been running flawlessly.
Today, I changed it from Firewire to USB and it worked great on USB
I went back to firewire, no sound from logic, nothing going on in the Meters In Total Mix.
Reset Total Mix, still nothing.
Went back to USB, sound comes back.

When connected via firewire, when I hit MUTE on the remote control , nothing happens in the Total Mix Window...it doesn't mute.  Everything works as advertised
via USB. I tried a different cable. NO Change.
I go out of FW800 on my mac to a Lacie Quadra D2 and come out of its FW400 to the UCX.
This has been all installed and working fine, for a few weeks, maybe even more than a month.
I updated to the latest drivers, about a week ago (when I say latest, those on the download page, not the beta stuff...)
When I click on the FIREFACE settings and its connected to FWire it says Version 3.08
Total Mix version is .972
Its settings under USB are firmware V42 Driver 1.72
All I can think of is to uninstal and reinstall the driver and total mix, if this is applicable, can someone help me out with how to do that..
how do you remove the old driver and total mix....?
my iMac is a 9,1   my software is  OSX 10.7.4
also, when connected in Firewire, the HOST light is NOT on , on the UCX.
When I go into SYSTEM SETTINGS in OSX, it appears as its there though I cannot play system sounds through it e.g. Quicktime (can on USB)
Also, when I go to ABOUT THIS MAC and look, I can see that both the Firewire Quadra and the RME are connected to the iMac
any help greatly appreciated

cheers

Wiz

Re: UCX no sound on iMac via firewire but works via USB

If the Host light is not on when only FW is connected, and you also switched the unit off/on in this state (for a clear reset), then the FW port is most probably broken. Either in your LaCie or in the UCX. Get yourself an 800 to 400 cable and try it directly to the Mac.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

If the Host light is not on when only FW is connected, and you also switched the unit off/on in this state (for a clear reset), then the FW port is most probably broken. Either in your LaCie or in the UCX. Get yourself an 800 to 400 cable and try it directly to the Mac.

Hi Mathias
the host light is NOT on when either connected via firewire or USB.  I thought that only came on if there was a problem. I will try and find a cable today...
But, I figured (perhaps incorrectly) if I could see that the RME is connected via firewire in the ABOUT THIS MAC, that it was talking to the iMac and therefore it might be a reinstall issue, or driver issue
Just to summarise for clarity.
The host light never comes on , only at power up during the self test, it is always off either when connected via USB or Firewire.
I can see that when I have the UCX connected to the iMac via Firewire, that the iMac recognises that it is there (About this mac) its just that it makes no sound, and when i press buttons on the remote control nothing happens in total mix.  Everything works fine in USB.

cheers

Wiz

4 (edited by Wiz 2012-06-29 00:28:55)

I just checked the manual.

"The red HOST LED lights up when the Fireface UCX has been switched on. It operates as error LED, in case the USB or FireWire connection hasn't been initialised yet, or has been interrupted (error, cable not connected etc.)."

So, before i run out and buy a cable, can you confirm my thinking please.

I am talking about when ONLY THE FIREWIRE cable is connected, the USB is unplugged (i have never had the both connected at the same time)

If, the host light is NOT on, that means as far as the UCX is concerned its connected to the HOST.

If I can see it in ABOUT MY MAC system profiler, then its connected to the iMac

so changing the cable, shouldn't have any affect.

cheers

Wiz

Okay, I removed the UCX from my studio and took it to the house, where my daughters iMac is an older one, and has both a FW800 and FW400 port on it.

I took the same FW400 cable.

I installed the driver for the UCX the one on the download page. 3.06 I think it is.

It worked fine via Firewire.

So, what I would like to do is uninstal the firewire driver from my studio iMac and reinstall it. 

How do I go about doing that?

The only other scenario, is the Quadra D2 connected to my studio iMac which functions as a FW800 to FW400 convertor between the iMac and the UCX is doing something bizarre, which I find very unlikely.

So, can you give me some instructions, or refer me to some sort of document, where I can find out how to remove the firewire driver from my iMac and reinstall please.

thanks

Wiz

Removing the Fireface driver on Mac OS X

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Also described in the manual.

And you are correct, I was thinking about the UFX when writing about the Host LED.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I thought I would post the result for posterity.

It is definitely the Quadra D2, it is NOT the UCX.

I whilst awaiting the arrival of my cable, did a complete operating system re instal, and driver re instal.  Didn't fix it.

FW800 to FW400 cable arrived this am. Took the lacie out of the chain, and bingo. UCX works via firewire.

The Lacie still functions as a FW hard drive with no issues, so I will run the UCX on USB.

thanks everyone for the help.

cheers

Wiz