Topic: Need some help how to connect monitor subwoofer

Hi friends,

I just bought a new monitor subwoofer but never got any sound via the sub. I sat around for a couple of hours trying to connect the sub with the monitors and my Fireface 800. So I need to understand the basics of which connections go to where between sub, monitors, and the FF800 and how to set up the FF virtual mixer. Your thoughts/ideas? Thank you

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HS10W/

Yamaha HS10W Powered Subwoofer Features:
8" long stroke 120-watt woofer
Dual XLR and 1/4" inputs
3 balanced XLR outputs (Mix, L&R)
Phase switch
Low/High cutoff
Frequency response 30Hz-180Hz (-10 dB)
Bass-reflex MDF enclosure
Inputs: XLR-3-31 type (balanced), TRS (balanced)
Outputs: XLR-3-32 type (balanced, 2 x XLR-3-32 type (balanced)
Level control
High cut control: 80/120Hz
Low cut control: 80/120Hz
Low cut switch: ON/OFF
Power ON: White LED

My monitors are these:http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/speakers/msp_studio_series/msp5_studio/?mode=model

Specification    Detail
Powered    Yes
Power Configuration    Bi-amped
LF Driver Size    5"
LF Driver Material    Polypropylene Cone
HF Driver Size    1"
HF Driver Material    Titanium Dome
LF Driver Power Amp    40W
HF Driver Power Amp    27"
Frequency Range    50Hz-40kHz
Enclosure Type    Ported

Input Types    1 x XLR, 1 x TS
Output Types    No Outputs

Height    11"
Width    7"
Depth    8.2"
Weight    17.42 lbs.
Manufacturer Part Number    MSP5 STUDIO

Re: Need some help how to connect monitor subwoofer

Tombolino,

The simplest way to connect them is to take your outputs of your interface that currently go to your powered monitors and connect them directly to the L & R XLR inputs of the sub.  Then take two more XLR cable and connect the L & R XLR outputs of the sub and run them to your powered monitors.

Set the crossover of the sub per the recommendations in the subs user manual and you should be good to go.

I don't own a Fireface 800, so if you're looking to hook up the sub and nearfields independent of one another, someone else will have to chime in.

Hope that helps..
Jim

Thanks. But my interface, Fireface 800 does not have XLR Outputs only 1/4, so your suggest wont work.

Use balanced Jack to XLR cables.

-----------------------

Various ADK computers :-)

Thanks Alex.

Do you mean a cable that is a 1/4 balanced on one end and on the other XLR? Would this not deter quality?

Also the subs outs are only XLR which would take up my front panel interfaces XLRs inputs which I need for mics, etc. Use same trick you mentioned? No loss of quality or whatever?

Thank you

Does signal flow order matter here? Shouldnt the sub be the last unit  that does all the frequency sorting out when all is hooked up?

7 (edited by alexoosthoek 2012-07-04 21:50:27)

Tombolino wrote:

Thanks Alex.

Do you mean a cable that is a 1/4 balanced on one end and on the other XLR? Would this not deter quality?

Also the subs outs are only XLR which would take up my front panel interfaces XLRs inputs which I need for mics, etc. Use same trick you mentioned? No loss of quality or whatever?

Thank you

Yes, that are the cables I meant:

* FF out> balanced Jack> XLR> sub in

*sub out> XLR> XLR> monitor

There will be no loss of quality:-)
\

Edit: and don't forget to set the X-over(s), like Jayco said.

-----------------------

Tombolino wrote:

Thanks Alex.

Thank you

These connections have nothing to do with the XLR inputs on your Fireface...  Use two 1/4 TRS to XLR cables to connect the 1/4 TRS outputs of your Fireface (which you already use for your nearfileds) to your subwoofer's XLR inputs (L & R).  Use two XLR cables to connect the XLR outputs (L & R) of your subwoofer to the XLR inputs (L & R) of your nearfield monitors.

None of these connections will take up any of the XLR inputs on the front of the Fireface.

Hope that helps.
Jim

Thanks Jayco & Alex.

Just curious: The subwoof has two 1/4 inputs and 2x XLR inputs. So from Fireface Outs to the sub's ins, they can go to either XLR ins or 1/4 ins of the sub...?, doesnt matter which?

in other words, this could work too?

* FF outs balanced Jacks> balanced jacks> Sub in

*Sub out> XLR> XLR> monitor

Yup, it would.

Sorry I missed the TRS inputs on the sub.

-----------------------

thank you friends!:-)