Topic: Retina MBP & FireFace 800?

Hi,

I have a FF800 and I'm awaiting delivery of a new rMBP. The rMBP has no FireWire port. Apple is due to release a thunderbolt to FireWire connector but, as yet, it has only been announced. I want to assemble some options if it is not released soon. Plus I would prefer 6 mic preamps, I'm recording drums and using the glyn Johns method 4 mics, however, I would like to put a couple of extra mics on the kit when needed.

1) keep using my g5 to record With the FF800, then transfer the files to the rMBP.
This is my least favourite

2) get a babyface and link the fireface To the babyface with adat/digital.
The front runner at the moment

3) sell the FireFace, get a BabyFace and a good 4 channel preamp (6 in total) with digital output into the BabyFace.
A bit expensive at the moment, just bought some Mojave mics

I am thinking of getting the babyface anyway to give me a totally portable option. But I have a few questions.
How well does the adat/digital connection between the fireface and babyface work?
Is it reliable?
Can I use all 6 preamps over the USB interface?
When apple releases the TB to FW connector, what is the best signal path, FireFace > BabyFace > MacBook pro OR BabyFace > FireFace > MacBook pro?

Some input would be helpful.

Callum

Re: Retina MBP & FireFace 800?

Hi,

I'm also waiting for my rMBP and owner of a FFUCX.
I would suggest you wait a few weeks: Apple announced the adapter for July.
That's the cheapest solution !

Even if my UCX doesn't require it, I'll probably grab one too at least for storage (+ for the UCX bus power...). I'm just a little skeptic about the 29$/€ price tag I read about...

Re: Retina MBP & FireFace 800?

Thanks for the reply. I'm probably getting the babyface now the rMBP is due next week and the rumours are for a September release of the TB>FW connector.