Topic: UCX digital output to AES3id (S/PDIF)?

Another dumb question but I'd be very grateful for an answer. I'm recording directly to my Mac Pro but also (as a belt and suspenders approach) to a stand alone Sound Devices 702 digital recorder. I've belated realized that it's redundant to send an analog signal to the recorder (A/D, D/A, A/D conversions) and I'd like to send the digital signal directly via SPDIF but am uncertain about cabling. The 702 has a BNC connector for unbalanced digital signals. It autodetects. Two channel input only (which is fine) and it autolocks sample rate to source frequency. OK. Anyhow, now being confused by the wiring diagram on pg. 41 of the UCX manual, I'd like to know whether a standard BNC (male) to RCA (male) cable will work for this connection?

Thanks!!

Re: UCX digital output to AES3id (S/PDIF)?

How about using an adapter like:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 … apter.html
Then use any available RCA to RCA S/PDIF cable.

I see BNC to RCA prebuilt cables online as well, they seem to be video oriented but probably would would work just fine.

i7 Extreme 990X 3.47Ghz, 24GB RAM, Fireface UFX
Nuendo 8, Halion 6, Wavelab 9.5, Izotope RX 6

Re: UCX digital output to AES3id (S/PDIF)?

cobiashimew wrote:

How about using an adapter like:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 … apter.html
Then use any available RCA to RCA S/PDIF cable.

I see BNC to RCA prebuilt cables online as well, they seem to be video oriented but probably would would work just fine.

Radio Shack seems to have similar ones, though it would need the opposite M/F connections. Anyhow, I ordered a prebuilt one from Amazon. I hope it works! :-) I'll try and find out... Mainly I was worried about frying one or both units by using the wrong cable...

Btw, at first I thought the iPad feature was interesting but not so useful, now I'm thinking it might be very useful for me, if it allows full fidelity recording in silence. I record right next to my computer but my new Mac Pro's exhaust fan is too noisy -- I should have Apple replace/fix it -- but since it's under my desk it's not so easy to soundproof otherwise.