Topic: Fireface UCX - MIDI breakout cable doesn't fit socket!

Just became the proud owner of a Fireface UCX yesterday smile

Only one small problem so far: the multi-pin breakout for MIDI won't fit into its socket (it's supposed to plug in flush with the casing, yes?)

I guess the pins on mine must've left the factory bent slightly out of tolerance?

Should I just go to my retailer to get a replacement?

Re: Fireface UCX - MIDI breakout cable doesn't fit socket!

This is quite normal and nothing to worry about.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

But it's hardly going into the socket at all, to the extent that it just slips out!

i had the same problem with mine...
i'm sending it back to the retailer... it just don't feel as robust as i was expecting for piece of equipment made by RME...
it's a little disappointing... i'll keep my hope that it's a faulty unit and my retailer will send me a new one with no issues otherwise i think i'll ask for a refund and buy a metric halo...

It is not supposed to plug in 'flush with the casing'. At the same time it does not fall out alone. You might have bended one of the pins, so the connector can not be inserted as intended anymore. Please check with a magnifier.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I think the pins on mine must have already been out of tolerance, because it was difficult to insert the plug at all in the first place... I did not want to push it too hard, but when it did go in finally, it is loose and just falls out.

It is not about tolerance. This Mini-DIN connector can cause its pins to be bended by trying to push it in while turning it. Many people do this, but here it is quite critical. Then one of the 9 pins often does not slide into the corresponding hole and is bended, means lying between connector and socket, and preventing both from coming as close as possible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

What I mean is: mine seems to have come out of the factory with one or more of the pins slightly bent out of alignment, so it would not fit into the socket, even from the very first time I tried.

Then you have to complain at your local dealer to get this fixed. Not sure what you expect from a forum in that case...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Was that supposed to sound so disdainful? I asked if I should go back to the retailer in my first post! I will do that today. But now I also have proper information about how the connector is supposed to behave, due to asking on this forum.  I guess I'll have to watch a certain episode of Fawlty Towers too. :-) Thanks.

feline1 wrote:

Was that supposed to sound so disdainful? I asked if I should go back to the retailer in my first post!

Missed that one - full crash! fryingpan

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have brought this up in another post, the UC has the same problem, not getting anywhere on that post either, seems like RME are quite happy to provide its customers with an ill fitting connector that is likely to get damaged as it never really feels secure, although I dont think returning is going to make any difference, they all come like this, its the only thing about this kit that is "crap", otherwise this is a stunning piece of kit so I can live this relatively minor issue. Hopefully RME are listening and will fix this in later generations.

Hmmm... well it is going to be 4th August before my retailer here in Brighton can do a swap...
I will get them to check it in the shop to make sure it is OK before I leave!!

in my humble opinion this pin was unlikely to have come out of the factory like this, it will have become bent when you tried to get the thing to go in properly,  this is the problem with it, its not your fault, its the crappy connector RME have provided, its loose even when its supposedly in place. I will be surprised if your dealer takes it back, good luck.

Well - the first time I tired it, I just tried to push it in straight, not using excessive force.... and the angle off perpendicular can't have been more than a degree! So if that's enough to irreparably break it, then it is indeed a useless connector!
But the shell of the DIN plug was not a perfect cylinder, it was slightly squished so there was a gap along the seam... so maybe it got squished in the factory.

you might be ok then, it will depend on the vendor I suppose.

You can wait for the shop to source a replacement.  Or you can have a close look and straighten any pins that are bent.   It does sound as if RME have taken the cheap option for that connector.

I wouldn't say it was cheap, I just think the R&D design team must have been having a bad day when the came up with that connector assembly, it would be fit if it fit properly smile

Laurence Payne wrote:

You can wait for the shop to source a replacement.  Or you can have a close look and straighten any pins that are bent.   It does sound as if RME have taken the cheap option for that connector.

The pins are very densely packed and the only need to be *fractionally* out of alignment before they no longer fit, I'm afraid.... me trying to straighten them would be like me trying to shake hands with a fly.

Please contact Synthax UK, the cable must have been damaged in the box during transit. They should be able to help you with a replacement.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support.php? … tedkingdom

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Looks like I may indeed have to go via the Sythax route, as my retailer's supply date for new UCX's has slipped by another fortnight hmm

hi guys,
i sent my UCX back to replacement and i just received the new unit... same thing, i guess it´s not a damage cable or something like that, it looks like bad design... really disappointing...

My retailer now has a new one waiting for me.... which I will get this weekend ... but I certainly won't leave the shop without trying it out first!

yeah, let me know how it fits, if its fine them mine's going back to GAK

give us some feedback after you get yours... i hope you'll have better luck...

Finally got a replacement breakout cable from the retailer (GAK in Brighton) at the weekend there - nice to finally be able to get MIDI in and out of my PC again after about a month of downtime!!

so you only changed the cable and now it's ok? it's fits nicely?

Yes - we took the cable from another UCX, and used that instead, and it fitted OK.

It is still not exactly *easy* to get the pins aligned and the plug to fit, mind you...

I do hope RME are listening and can get this right with their next interface versions, they really need to drop this naff connector and go for something more solid.

We have been using the same MIDI breakout for several years with many RME products. This is the first time there is a complaint. Obviously, if the plug is crushed this is a problem, but not a design flaw.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff, jeff, jeff - this is Feline1 you're flaming. *Feline1*! Off the Internets! rotfl Anyone who knows me will have been reading my restraint on this thread so far peeping out through the gaps in their fingers from behind the sofa, like watching a kitten playing with an OWL. yikes

I wasn't starting this thread to make a "complaint", I was asking for information about whether the connector was "supposed to be like that".

I've never owned an RME product before, so I couldn't have drawn the connector's inadequacies to your 'several years' ago. Although I note that the minute I mentioned it, two other customers piped up with the exact same problem, which seems a remarkable coincidence if this is the only time the connector has *ever* failed.

RME seem to be responding with defensive stroppiness and insinuations that we all somehow wrecked our connectors ourselves through our own carelessness and negligence. I think you maybe need to calm down a bit. (You're supposed to be a 'moderator', not the person who winds others up!)

It may sound a rather ludicrous thing to boast about, but I've been plugging in all manner of connectors used in music technology and IT on probably a daily basis since the late 1980s. This is the first time I've ever found a connector whose pins are so fragile and need such careful alignment that they managed to banjax themselves the first time I tried to plug the thing in. The only other thing I can think of that is remotely comparable is trying to insert dual-inline pinned IC's into sockets on circuit boards: and they are only intended to be changed in calm workshop conditions on a bench.

I don't think I *did* break the connector myself through lack of care, I think it already had misaligned pins out of the factory - but even if I did, a plug on a piece of music gear should not require that much care to survive. This is a soundcard that is designed to be portable, class compliant, used in live situations - where it may be dark, people will be stressed, in a hurry. It ought to be robust and easy to fit without trouble.
Petulantly telling your customers that the design is fine and there's no problem is not a helpful attitude.

Hey there feline1, I was not talking to you, but responding to the post directly above mine (stoolzo). Have you read my responses in this thread? I hardly think I'm winding anyone up.

If you read the thread again, I'm the guy who understood the problem and provided the solution.

Still, this is a standard connector called "Mini-DIN" that is used all over the world for many purposes, not a "naff connector". The design is fine. Yours was broken, sorry for that. It is designed in such a way that it can only be inserted one way, but this should not be so difficult when the plug is not squashed.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Harumph. OK well we'll let you off for now... rotfl

And far be it from me to criticise the design standards of the illustrious Deutsches Institut für Normung, but I do think those mini-DIN connectors you're using suck a little. It's fine for a connector to "only go in one way", but it shouldn't break if you gently fumble around with it against the socket, trying to feel which way is right... which is pretty much what that breakout cable does!  In a live situation (or maybe even in a dim studio) it will not always be possible to align the pins by eye before inserting it (because it may be dark, or in a restricted space that you can't get your head round...) - so it will be necessary to do it by feel.

I stand by my criticism of this connector, myself and two other friends picked up the UC and all have the same problem, a cable in place should feel "in place" it should not wobble in any way. It should not only fit in half way when you apply it, it should not fall out when you move it. I also have similar connectors on an ancient soundblaster card, guess what - they fit fine, why you ask?, well they sit about a 1-2 mm further into the case and so provide the extra stability required - your cable unit just doesn't push far enough it which is why it wobbles and feels poor.

I can only assume that this hasnt come up before as its the cards only flaw and its a relatively minor, something people can live with as it does work after all,  its just that its not up to the build quality and design of the rest of the card.

If RME wants to provide me with a card and connector that fits perfectly in place and doesnt wobble at all I will happily take this back.

Over to you RME.

35 (edited by Girts 2012-09-01 23:52:54)

I was really disappointed about that MIDI connector as well. It just feel so unsecure when plugged in. I was awaiting kind of "click!"-like feeling when inserting it into the socket. Well, my UCX now lies on the studio table here static and stable but I hardly can imagine anyone would be safe on live gigs with a MIDI connection like that!

It just feels flimsy (and cheep).

Wish it had a ring with a thread for secure fastening - just like old Tuchel connectors.

Lets hope RME are listening and get it right next time, it cant be rocket science to get a midi connector "right".

Mine doesnt fit too. I've recently bought fireface uc and couldnt plug in the breakout cable to it. Sorry to say that but probably the shittiest breakout cable ever seen. Now I'm using my old m-audio midispot 4x4 for midi connections, at least it works.

If it doesn't fit at all, it's broken and needs to be replaced (or pins carefully bent into place). The cable works fine for most users.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I don't own this unit.  But I know mini-DIN connectors, and I'd add my voice to condemning them.  Too fiddly, too easy to break, and not a positive connection.

Like the PS/2 connectors they resemble.  Anyone here who HASN'T broken one, reaching round the back of a computer to plug in a mouse or keyboard?

Laurence Payne wrote:

Anyone here who HASN'T broken one, reaching round the back of a computer to plug in a mouse or keyboard?

Never in my whole computer life...:-)
But I agree; most of the newish connectors today lack a good portion of reliability.
I wish I would have seen sub-d connectors a little bit more often...:-)

Regards
Zapp

Regards
Zapp

41 (edited by davidacarr 2012-11-07 17:28:44)

I've also experienced the same issue with my MIDI breakout cable for the UCX.

I bent two pins trying to insert the connector, and had to re-align them.

The issue is that the outer ring with the "key step" on the cable is not aligned squarley with the pins, so you can't just take the connector outer housing and stick it in or you will bend the pins.

You need to look inside the cable end at the key relative to the pins, and note the amount of angle that the collar with the key is rotated. (it is supposed to be square at the bottom relative to the pins, but mine was off about 20-30 degrees) Once you know this, you can then "guestimate" how much you need to rotate the connector, and insert.

I'd like to add that I have no idea what the specifications are for these connectors, this type mis-alignment may be fully within the specs for this connector style.

Mine went in, but as RME has stated, not all the way... 

I havent fully tested my MIDI capablity to ensure all is working as intended though.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

> (it is supposed to be square at the bottom relative to the pins, but mine was off about 20-30 degrees)

Then get yourself a new one for free. It should be obvious that this is not covered by whatever spec there is.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME