Topic: Connecting to RME card via ADAT?

Hi, i have an RME hammerfall 9632 PCI card in my DAW and just bought a used digi pad 96/8 for a second Pc and would like to know what i need to connect these 2 properly via adat? I just want to be able to load some extra samples on my old Pc and send it back via adat to my DAW. I have the midi taken care off.

So far it seems to work but i was wondering if i need an add on word clock card  or if an adat cable alone will work fine? I really hope i don't need an add on since i don't have extra room on my Pc.

While we're at it and, assuming i don't need an add on word clock card, would it still work if i add a 3rd Pc and Card(Hamerfall 9652) to the equation?

I'm sorry but all this stuff about Jitters and work clock is a little above me.

Need help asap.

Thank you.

2 (edited by JackL2 2012-08-07 09:06:37)

Re: Connecting to RME card via ADAT?

62 views and 0 answers? wow!

I just want to send back audio into my DAW via light pipe, what do i need to make this work?

After quiet a bit of research, I'm pretty amazed at how little info there is on the web regarding my question. I eventually downloaded the manual and can now see that my card either locks when my daw is set to master, or sync when set to autosync. I've set my digi 96/8 PAD on my slave to autosync and everything seems to be working/sounding fine.  As i expected with RME. :-) ..unless I'm missing something?

Well, i guess i can buy an HDSP 9652 now, and put my HDSP 9632 on a second slave and do the same thing and get the same result? Please let me know if I'm wrong.

P.S. I guess I'll reed the manual 1st next time. lol...

Thanks.

The ADAT signal is self clocking so there's no need for a separate word clock (unless you have a very complex system). Just make sure you have the master/slave settings correct at each end.

The 9 pin ADAT sync connectors have word clock and they also carry position information which is useful if you have 2 DAW's on separate machines to sync up but they're not needed if you just want to move audio between machines.

James.

jamesperrett wrote:

The ADAT signal is self clocking so there's no need for a separate word clock

James.

This is what i wanted to hear.

Thanks a lot James