Topic: macbook air 2012 compatibility with fireface uc?

Hello,
Do you know if the fireface UC is compatible with usb3 ports of new macbook air?
Thank you

Re: macbook air 2012 compatibility with fireface uc?

If Apple wouldn't have sent me a MacBook Air with 2 small holes in the LCD screen (unbelievable!) then I could answer this 100%. But now you have to wait until the replacement comes in. For less than 100%: I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So got the new unit - works with no problems with the UC (and UFX, UCX and Babyface).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

So got the new unit - works with no problems with the UC (and UFX, UCX and Babyface).

I have a new 2012 Macbook Air, the fully loaded version sold in Apple stores: 13" screen, i7, 8 G ram, 512 G ssd, running Mountain Lion.

It does not, repeat not, work with the UCX. My workaround is to use a cheap USB 2.0 hub, plug the hub into the MBA and plug the UCX into the hub.

I just updated the firewire and USB drivers to the latest versions but those don't solve the problem.

Hi George,

The unit is working as expected via USB when connected through the hub?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

7 (edited by georgekenney 2012-08-08 07:34:19)

Jeff wrote:

Hi George,

The unit is working as expected via USB when connected through the hub?

Thanks, Jeff.

No, the hub trick stopped working unexpectedly yesterday morning, about two minutes before I was set for a phone interview with the head of Common Cause (an important domestic NGO). Fortunately, I have a backup system...

Subsequently, based on advice from Chris Ludwig, Synthax in CT, I've installed the latest USB and Firewire drivers from a couple days ago.

1) Testing with the Apple Thunderbolt/Firewire adapter:

Totalmix opens and appears to function normally, as does Fireface settings (Firewire, not USB settings
     but I had to force quit the application after powering down and disconnecting the UCX).
     No input, however, to Adobe Audition, though the program says it sees the UCX; plus which
     the Audition playhead won't move.

2) Testing with USB directly into the Macbook Air USB 3.0 port:

Totalmix opens and appears to function normally, as does Fireface USB settings.
     Initially Audition does not see the UCX. After hot unplugging and replugging in the USB cable Audition
     sees the UCX and will record normally on one channel (I have to wait until later today to test a second
     simultaneous channel from a phone line).

Given (2) above, in this round I did not re-test the USB 2.0 hub.

I have other unresolved issues connecting my 2012 Mac Pro while using Adobe Audition. But there, at least, I can record from the UCX via Firewire into Soundtrack Pro. I've tried, btw, to install Soundtrack Pro 3.0 onto my Macbook Air (and I suspect it might work better than Audition) but for some reason, although the install goes smoothly, the program won't load. Maybe something to do with 64 bit architecture? I mention this because I wonder whether that's where the other problems might be?

Just for confirmation, re the Macbook Air, I installed Audacity to see if it might see the UCX. Similarly to Audition, the program says it sees the UCX but cannot then record.

I'm no expert but my guess is that these are all driver related issues. I've had no response, btw, on the Adobe Audition forum regarding my question about Audition's compatibility with the RME UCX. Nevertheless, given that unplugging and replugging in a USB cable makes things "work" I'm guessing that that's not really Adobe's responsibility.

I would try Pro Tools, which I suspect might help things work better, but I'm hesitant to purchase a program that's otherwise so far above my needs.

There are two things you can do that are easy and quick:

- Install DIGICheck and try the global level meter on inputs. It uses CoreAudio, so if that one doesn't work DC would fail too. Using the Hardware Level meters will work (otherwise you would not see levels in TotalMix).

- Switch the unit into CC (Class Complaint) mode. Then it will run without any RME driver involved, natively, and all your software must be able to record/play (no Settigs and no TM FX, of course). If that one doesn't work as well then there is a hardware problem, either in your MacBook, the USB cable, or the UCX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi there,

I'm about to purchase the 11" 2012 model and was thinking of a babyface to go with it. What's the current status on mb air 2012 compatibility ?

Thank you,

Gideon

We now have three of them and their USB 3 works for us.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME