Topic: Babyface Face Computer Buzz, Ringing, Noise

I am a new Babyface owner.  My Babyface sounds fine through headphones, but when I connect either Outputs 1+2 or Outputs 3+4 to my Speaker system I can hear interference from the computer through both the tweeters and through the woofers.  The noise subsides when I connect a ground wire from the back of the Babyface (at the screw connector for the DIN cable) to the ground connection on my Monster HTS 2600.

I have read through the forums and tried the following to no avail:

1) Dedicated USB host controller.   Startech PEXUSB3S2 (this apparently helped another with the same problem) did not help

2) ART DTI. (this was recommended by an RME administrator.)  did not help

The only thing that seems to help is to ground the Babyface to the Monster.

At this point I'm not sure what to do.  Please help RME!  Noise exists when using Outputs 1+2 or 3+4)

Thank you.

Rosewill RG630-S12 Power Supply, AMD PhenomII X3, Asus M4A78T-E Motherboard, StarTech PEXUSB3S2 USB Host -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB 1.5m -> Babyface -> Muse Model One Hundred Power Amplifier (Pin 3 XLR left floating with OUTS 1+2, TRS -> RCA with OUTS 3+4) -> Audioquest Rocket 44 Biwire -> B&W CDM2 Loudspeakers

Re: Babyface Face Computer Buzz, Ringing, Noise

the ART DTI amplified the noise!!!

Adimenna, I am a new babyface owner too. I had a similar problem. I swapped cables, and that fixed my problem. Have you tried that?

When an islation transformer makes things worse then it means you have insufficient grounding on the Babyface/computer or the monster. They currently get their ground from the other side respectively, instead of being grounded properly on their own. If done so and you still have a ground loop problem, then the ART will help.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

medeth, what cables did you swap?

Matthias:  Thank you for your reply, though I do not understand what you have said 100%  The Monster says "Ground OK", I live in a brand new building and have a dedicated 20AMP circuit feeding the Monster.  What do you mean the Babyface/computer have insufficient grounding?  The CPU power supply is brand new too.  Will using an external power supply with the Babyface remove the Babyface from the USB/CPU ground? 

The latest thing I tried was to lift the Amp from ground completely and this seemed to eliminate the high pitched computer noises, but not the low frequency hum.  Any thoughts?  Thank you Matthias.

> What do you mean the Babyface/computer have insufficient grounding?

Exactly that. How and where is the computer grounded?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The computer's power supply is connected to power via a 3 prong cable to the monster power center.  I don't have any additional ground besides the standard three prong from the computer.

...and I have no clue what a 'monster power center' is.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It's a surge protector/ line conditioner from Monster.  Model HTS 2600.

Did you try without this one?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Adimenna, I replaced the cable running from babyface to speakers with ones from a different brand.

You could probably try plugging the speaker power cables to a different power point (assuming they are powered).

There are a ton of helpful tips if you Google 'ground loop noise'. Hope this helps!