Topic: SPDIF failing on the FF800

I've had a FF800 for 3 or 4 years now - and in the past, I always had either my Yamaha Motif XS6 or BOSS Gt-6 guitar pedal board plugged into the SPDIF input. For whatever reason now, the SPDIF has stopped working. I can't get in or out to work. I've installed the latest windows and mac drivers and still no luck. I've altered every possible setting (consumer, pro) and still no luck.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there someway to reset it? When I look at the settings, it clearly says "No Lock" ... no matter what I put into the coax input - and the light is never on.

I've tried multiple cables and still no luck. I replaced with a cheaper Audio Express and the SPDIF signal is loud and clear.

I can also connect the motu to my stereo speaker system via spdif and all is well - but nothing from the FireFace800.

I'm running firmware: 2.77 and driver: 3.068 on the windows box ... and just installed 3.10 on the mac ... but no luck.

I dare not way when/if I upgraded the firmware ... but I guess there was some point in time that SPDIF stopped working and I ignored it thinking I had some setting wrong - but it has become a real pain as of late as I need to transfer some audio and can't get it working.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: SPDIF failing on the FF800

Are you talking about coax or optical SPDIF? What is the setting for SPDIF in (ADAT 2 or Coaxial)?

After verifying the setting, please try a simple loopback test. Set the FF800 to internal clock, connect FF SPDIF out to FF SPDIF in, and check the SyncCheck status in settings.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I am referring to the COAX spdif. The ADAT2 connection seems to be working.

Here what I see:

1. I connect both the coax "SPDIF Input" to the coax "SPDIF Output" and ADAT2 Input -> ADAT2 Output.

2. In the "SPDIF Out" section in the Fireface Settings window, I select only ADAT2. I also select ADAT2 in the "SPDIF In" selection.

RESULT: in the Fireface Settings window, the "Preferred Sync Ref / Input Status" section says (SPDIF = "Sync") and (ADAT2 = "No Lock").

Keeping those same connections, if I select Coaxial in the "SPDIF In" section and deselect ADAT2 from the "SPDIF Out" section, then "Preferred Sync Ref / Input Status" reports (SPDIF = "No Lock") while (ADAT2 = "Sync").

So it seems that the ADAT2 connection works as SPDIF or as ADAT ... but when SPDIF is switched to coax, it doesn't want to sync. I've tried three different RCA cables - each of which work with my other interface.

If it helps, Clock Mode = "Master" and Sample Rate = 44100Hz and the System Clock section of the window reflects this.

Seems the coax input is defective indeed...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

"SPDIF out" doesn't work either - tried with some digital computer speakers, stereo receivers and into the other A/D box here - all of which work with signals from the GT-6 or XS-6.

Does that mean it needs to be sent in? I guess I will try and contact tech support.

Thanks.