Topic: Cannot restore Fireface Mixer view

I've had my FF400 for over four years but this is my first post on the forum and I hope this is a simple question as it's stumping me.
I was recording in Cubase on Tuesday night and called up the Fireface mixer to switch to the matrix view. I did what I had to do and closed it back down and a few minutes later called up the mixer again to adjust some input levels I was recording. However, all that came up was the matrix view and I couldn't see any other menu option to switch back to the mixer so closed it back down.
I tried again last night but still no luck so I uninstalled the driver and Fireface apps, removed the firewire cable from the FF400, rebooted, reinstallled everything, rebooted, reconnected the firewire cable, the FF400 was picked up immediately, and then clicked on the mixer icon in the System Tray.... and still the matrix view came up.
I'm on 256 samples for recording but I also got some 'clicking' noise when I closed my machine down which I haven't had before.
Am I missing something very simple or basic to switch over to the mixer view and does the 'clicking' noise indicate anything??
Thanks in advance.
Terry

Win7_64bit,i950,12GbRAM,GA-X58A-UD3R, Cubase 6.5, FF400 3.068, NI Komplete8, Arturia synths, BFD2.