Topic: Windows 8 x64 RTM and FF800 woes

Anyone having any luck? It seems to work for 30 minutes or so if I'm actively using it before I have to restart the audio engine in Sonar (time varies). If I walk away from my machine for more than 30 minutes when I come back I have to power cycle my FF800 to be able to use it again. Playing iTunes or Windows Media player (whatever it is called these days) will crash the unit as well after playing a few songs most of the time.

I've seen similar complaints with Vista/7 and unfortunately there isn't the "legacy" firewire driver anymore. That was the first thing I went hunting for.

I am using a VIA FW onboard chip and I did try the generic OHCI driver which didn't help. Again, no legacy version of it.

I've run DPC Latency on my machine which some people are claiming gives flawed results on Window 8 -- I'm seeing consistent 1000us which seems high but other Windows 8 folks are reporting similar results.

Any help would be appreciated! Everything was much happier under Windows 7. (never thought I'd say that)

Cheers,
Brian

Re: Windows 8 x64 RTM and FF800 woes

Hi,

Although not much help to you, I can say that my FF800 is working fine with Windows 8. I also have a VIA FireWire chip on my motherboard. (Asus P8z77 ws). I am not using it extensively for production as I use this machine for testing before upgrading my main DAW. I do run Media Monkey with ASIO listening to music for many hours without any sort of crash.
Your crash seems somewhat deterministic, are there any other events that occur at the same time. I.e. anything logged in the event logs?, is the 30 minutes always on the minute?, or is it more random?.

Torstein

You may have pointed me in the right direction, thank you!

I hadn't considered all the BS sounds Windows 8 and Outlook 2013 make. I had the Windows sound scheme set to "none" but the new Windows 8 Metro notification app was still making noise and for some reason and Outlook 2013 was doing the same thing.

I have both off now and I'm testing to see if it helps.

Cheers,
Brian

Did you come right? I think I'm having the same problem with my FF400 in Win8 x64.

I'm having an issue as well. I cant even play music from the zune software or any games ( worked fine before ) without the audio stream basically freezing on the stream and blasting a jittery wall of noise.

I recently changed from an AMD HW set up (was working fine, needed more power) to an Intel X79/ 3930 Sandy Bridge-E rig. Clean install of OS. Only HW changes were new motherboard and CPU. Still using the same TI chipset FW controller (PCI-E FW 800/400)

The AMD install worked fine, Windows 8 X64 RTM
On the current Intel rig, same OS and MOST of the same hardware, I can cause the audio system to glitch out faster by lowering ASIO latency.
I tried FW 800 and 400, tried previous and current FF 800 drivers, moved the FW card to different slots, same problem.

Out of desperation, I removed the FF 800 and tested the on mobo audio SPDIF output, and all is well. This unfortunately does me little good professionally and caused me lots of headache tracking this weekend. I'm tempted to test on Windows 7 after making an Image of my current OS.

Ah the frustrations of custom computers.

Win 8 is still before official release, so RME hasn't released any driver updates on the Win 8 compatibility issues. And I don't think they will have Win 8 support updates for the next months or two. But also I'm sure once it is officially out, then RME is the quickest among interface manufacturers to revise their drivers.

For testing and experiments, keep posting the updates, but for professional work, Win 7 should be used.

Hi,

The windows 8 that is out is the same release that everyone gets once it is available. There has already been a few updates to it already.
However, I must unfortunately retract my previous statement as I as well have the same problem that sounds like a stuck buffer. Happens both for ASIO and generic audio playback. I am not sure why this is occurring for me now, it might be because I used to run the release preview and had recently upgraded to RTM and had not seen that problem before.
The mainboard soundchip does not have this problem, so currently I am using SPDIF from that to the FF800. Far from Ideal. Not had much time investigating it yet.
I am on P8Z77 WS with Core-i7 3770k using the onboard VIA 1394 controller. Windows 8 64 bit and FF800 (obviously)

Torstein

8 (edited by funkyspacecadet 2012-10-22 08:10:24)

Torsteinko wrote:

Hi,

The windows 8 that is out is the same release that everyone gets once it is available. There has already been a few updates to it already.
However, I must unfortunately retract my previous statement as I as well have the same problem that sounds like a stuck buffer. Happens both for ASIO and generic audio playback.

The stuck buffer/loop that you get is more than likely the firewire driver.  Try my method to get the legacy driver from Win7.  I have the same issue with my FF400.  Using the legacy driver resolves that for me.

I have the same problem on both my VIA controller and SIIG TI card.

Workaround for Win8

Please bump this thread, or start your own to try get Microsoft's attention.