1 (edited by crewxp 2012-08-26 05:35:47)

Topic: Bought my first RME! Really confused on how to use my XLR In/ASIO

Hey! I bought my first RME product after years of desire. I am on day 2 of learning how to use this.

I have a a PCIe HDSPe AIO with a AO4S-192 AIO, AI4S-192 AIO, and a standard breakout cable (XLR male, XLR female, L/R phono jacks).

I would like to:
1.) Be able to use my XLR mic using my breakout cable to record with that mic. (Both On Skype and Cubase). What input do I use? How do I enable it?
2.) Be able to use RME's ASIO feature to play large samples in Cubase....AND be able to hear what I am playing through my computer's speakers (Loopback or Redirect to Windows WAV?) Is this possible?
3.)Which 4 slots are my Analog Output card in HDSP Mixer

I've been reading the manual, but am really confused. Can anyone help me with my 3 problems? I'm trying my best to learn, lol.

My Default Mixer and DSP Settings Screenshot:
[img align=C]http://i.imgur.com/fWyBu.png[/img]
Oh yes, I forgot to mention. My mic is plugged in via the XLR breakout. No matter how loud I yell into the mic, I do not see any of the HDSP Mixer volume levels move.

Setup:
i7-3930K / Rampage IV Extreme / 32GBMem / Win8.1 64-bit
Cubase 7.5
RME HDSPe AIO - A4IS&A4OS

Re: Bought my first RME! Really confused on how to use my XLR In/ASIO

-I think my breakout cable is digital only. Instead of paying $85 for the breakout cable I need, can I buy a XLR to 1/4 Output adapter Balanced and use that?

-Still can't figure out how to listen to my ASIO through my Windows WAVE or PC's Speakers. Is it even possible?

Setup:
Cubase 7.5

You should connect the pc speakers to the aio not through loopback.
The aio has no microphone input. Only line level. So for mics you will need a mic preamp.
As shipped the aio has unballenced analogue out coble included and a separate spdif. It sounds like you have the  the digital AES brake out cable, which is only usefull for digital connections.

You should be able to connect your speakers to the AO4S with proper cables.

Don't worry you will get it in the end!
Except you will need a mic preamp to record microphones, which will add additional costs

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

4 (edited by crewxp 2012-08-26 08:46:47)

thanks Vincent.

So I would need to remove my PC Speakers and connect them to the AIO?

>> Is there not a way to monitor/loopback the AIO to Windows Audio? (So that I could use my Computer's Audio and hear what I am playing)

I used to have an EMU and their software allowed me to do this.

Setup:
Cubase 7.5

You can use the AIO to monitor your computer sound, it set up in windows audio configuration.
After you have done that, have a look at one of the rme video tutorials on how to use totalmix. You can for example choose the spdif out for windows sound and then route it to your speakers in totalmix.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Awesome. I created a new thread for this specific question to make it easier for people to read. I solved my XLR Question

Setup:
Cubase 7.5