Topic: Fireface 400 MAJOR issue. Numbers above meters read "?"

Don't think I ever posted here since the FF400 is a really great piece of equiepment. Never failed me. Until now.

Since a couple of weeks something weird began occuring. First now and then, now every time. When I boot the card, all the numbers above the meters read "?". I get no in-signal from plugged in instruments and no out-signal to speakers or whatsoever. And YES my cables are plugged in, everything turned on. After a while (this "while" seems to be random) the "?" disappears and numbers begin showing again and the card seems to work. Except for some weird (seemingly silent) signal that seems to be coming into channel 3-8, even when I have nothing plugged in. If I push a meter above 0dB (sometimes I do this with the phones-channel, for obvious reasons) the overall sound begins to crackle, the performance becomes sluggish and weird noises sort of leaks out through channels where it is'nt even routed (yes, I know all about the matrix and routing possibilites).  When I boot the card it It looks like this:
[img align=L]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2548912/fireface_issue.jpg[/img]

This is extremely unreliable, especially since I use the FF400 in live performances and one day perhaps the card won't start at all. I have both the latest firmware and drivers. Could it be my fw-chipset in my computer that's singing on it's last verses?

Thanks for your time reading and hopefully replying.
/Sherman

FF400, Vintage Design M73D Preamp, Neumann TLM49, TI FW-controller, Intel i7, 8gb ram, win7 64bit.

Re: Fireface 400 MAJOR issue. Numbers above meters read "?"

The "minus infinity" display is normal for digital inputs without signal, but not for the analog inputs.

Do you use the external PSU or bus power? Can you try the opposite?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks for your reply!

I'm using external power supply. The opposite won't work since (my own theory here) my laptop only has the 4 pin FW-input. Gonna try the FF400 on another computer and see what happens.

FF400, Vintage Design M73D Preamp, Neumann TLM49, TI FW-controller, Intel i7, 8gb ram, win7 64bit.

Correct, the 4-pin connection omits power. You can try a suitable replacement PSU, 9-18 volts at 1.25 amps (or greater) would be safe.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Haven't had the time to test things yet, gonna try tomorrow. Could it be something wrong with the FW-cable?

It's very possible, try a different cable.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Tried in another computer with different cable. Same issue. R.I.P hmm

Good news! It was the external power supply! I got a new card and tried my old power supply in that one and the same issue occured, but not with the now PSU. smile