Topic: Will the old RME 9652 CARD PLAY BACK OR RECORD MIDI

Hi,

I am using the older version of the 9652 in my PC VIA a Yamaha 01 v96 vcm mixer to record into Cubase SX

When I try to send a midi signal into the mixer to cubase I get a terrible amount of intereference.

Also if I try and play back midi tracks from cubase  get a terrible amount of intereference to the point that i have to abort trying.

I know the new 9652 has 2 midi ports, so I am wondering if this older card is unable to accept midi.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Roland

Re: Will the old RME 9652 CARD PLAY BACK OR RECORD MIDI

The old non-HDSP 9652 has no MIDI functionality whatsoever.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel,

Thanks

I suspected this might be case.

Looks like I will need a new card soon then. Do you to a trade in on them if people are upgrading

Roland

Roland,

no need for a new card just for that. If you need MIDI to go in and out of Cubase, just get an inexpensive USB MIDI interface. This will work just like the MIDI on the HDSP card.

I'm not sure how you are trying to play back MIDI tracks as audio here, but what you seem to be doing won't work with the HDSP card, either. You can only route MIDI into virtual instruments or send MIDI to an external MIDI synth or so. Even the HDSP cards have no MIDI synthesizer functionality.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel,

What i want to do is use cubase as DAW and hence record both audio and midi into it and then play back both using the 9652

No RME card will directly "play back" MIDI as an audible signal. As I said, you will either need to turn MIDI into audio within Cubase by way of VST instruments, or send MIDI to an external MIDI synth to make it audible. The latter can be achieved with any USB MIDI device alongside the old 9652. Such a device will also allow you to record MIDI from an external keyboard into Cubase as a MIDI track.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel,

I am using VST Intruments in Cubase, but when I play back anything that was recorded using midi I get a rerrible rubbling huming sound.

If i play back something recorded in accoustic format i.e a guitar etc it is fine.

I am a novice to all this, but I was wondering if i need to add a world clock to the system ?

Sorry for my ignorence, just trying to understand what i need to do.

Roland

Whatever the problem may be here, it is likely Cubase internal - the card is not involved in rendeing VST. Have you tried a higher buffer size / latency setting? Word Clock (not world...) will not help here.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME