1 (edited by mustgroove 2012-09-08 05:34:53)

Topic: FF400 driver 3.12 - won't install on my computer

I can't seem to get the 3.12 FF400 driver to install on my Mac Pro... Every time I run the installer it proceeds exactly as it should, but after the reboot the driver isn't actually present... the Fireface Settings and Fireface Mixer files are not present in Applications, if I search for the driver kext & preference files in Spotlight they don't show up, and if I turn on my Fireface the host light just sits on red...

I've also tried installing the driver in Safe mode - made no difference...

I'm running OS X 10.7.4.  I'm also using an OWC Mercury Accelsior PCIe SSD as my system drive so could it perhaps be related to that?

Re: FF400 driver 3.12 - won't install on my computer

It's very weird - the update installs perfectly on my Macbook Pro... so thought I'd try putting my Mac Pro into Target Disk mode, running the installer on my Macbook Pro and installing the driver to my Mac Pro that way - it still didn't work...

One further bug - not only did installing the drivers to my Mac Pro (in target disk mode) from my Macbook Pro not work, it actually broke the installation of the driver on the Macbook Pro itself, which was previously working perfectly...

Fixed - turns out there was something weirdly wrong with my OS X installation that prevented the sudo command being executed, so the driver installer wasn't able to actually write any files successfully...

Reinstalled Lion from the Recovery partition and it's all fixed now.

Could you please mail or post details? I have another customer with the same problem... He would surely like to know... Thanks.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Basically here's what I did:

- After trying to install the driver a few more times unsuccessfully, I opened Console to check out the contents of /var/log/install.log to see if any errors were being logged by the driver installer... I noticed that the following error occurred quite a lot at the time when the driver installer was run:

sudo: can't open /private/etc/sudoers: Permission denied
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting

- I googled that error and discovered this Apple Support thread:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3680870

- I tried running the sudo command in Terminal just to confirm that that error message was occurring in general (and it was)

- At this point it seemed like the only thing to try was to reboot into the Recovery Disk and reinstall Lion (as suggested in the Apple thread)... once that was done, the sudo command worked perfectly and the driver installed without issue.

- No idea what could have gone wrong to produce that error when using the sudo command in Terminal, but it seems that the only way to fix it reliably is to reinstall the operating system...

- Make sure you do it from the Recovery Disk though because that way all your applications/files/etc. are preserved afterwards...