Topic: Programming the Fireface UC/UCX in a high level programming language

Hi
I'm intending to buy the Fireface UC or Fireface UCX for use in a simulator with different audio zones, each zone's loud speakers served over one analog output channel of the Fireface device. For some situations all zones should play the same sound/noise while in other situations each zone has its own noise (plane engine, flight crew announcements, chimes, and the like). Besides volume control of each out channel and other basic control also realtime mixing (as in the Matrix window of the HDSP Mixer) should be possible. All this should be done in program code (preferably C#, but C, C++ or any other high level language) in the background without any user control input via screen/mouse/keyboard. Searched the internet for quite a while (and this forum as well, just to say...) and talked to musicians and audio enthusiasts but didn't succeed in finding an rme API, tutorials or the like which would help me in my programming demands. Therefore I hope to get some advise here. My performance demands arent't very critical, so ASIO isn't a requirement. MIDI could be fine, but as one might guess from my description here, I'm a newbie to audio programming and therefore a bit lost with all these techniques. Therefore I'd really appreciate programming examples, API reference documentation, links to useful audio libraries, etc., or - in worst case - a statement saying that programming the Fireface UC/UCX  in the described manner isn't possible all (for whatever reasons).
Regards
Ernst

Re: Programming the Fireface UC/UCX in a high level programming language

Usually all this mixing would take effect in the software that you use (want to write). Externally parts can be adressed via MIDI, parts with special ASIO commands. But that would be a solution that is just a big workaround in itself, so better not start that way. And no, we do not have apis etc, because we do not sell software, just hardware based on standards like WDM and ASIO, where the documentation is available from Microsoft and Steinberg.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Programming the Fireface UC/UCX in a high level programming language

Great thanks for answering so fast.
Finally I'm going to spend the time needed to learn an audio content creation tool and its programming library (opted for FMOD) and hope it does what I need.
Regards
Ernst