Topic: need More outputs with FF800 for summing mixer

hi.

I own a FF800 and i need more 8 analog outputs to send to a summing mixer (thinking about dangeurous 2 buss LT).
FF800 have 8 analog outs and i need 8 more.
if i understood right i can hook up external 8 channel i\0 device to the ff800 via adat 1 or adat2.

few questions :
1. does any device who have a adat in/out will do ? or i need to buy only rme ?
2. if i only need a device for output (dont need more inputs/preamps..) what is the difference between the expansive devices (like rme..) and the cheep ones (let say beheringer ad8000) for this matter only ?

thanks, ido

Re: need More outputs with FF800 for summing mixer

1. does any device who have a adat in/out will do ? or i need to buy only rme ?

Yes. Any external ADAT converter will work with the Fireface 800 ADAT port(s). If you want to use more than 48 kHz sample rate you need a coverter with SMUX (up to 96 kHz) or SMUX4 support (up to 192 kHz).

2. if i only need a device for output (dont need more inputs/preamps..) what is the difference between the expansive devices (like rme..) and the cheep ones (let say beheringer ad8000) for this matter only ?

More expensive products from RME or other brands are a combination of quality, internal components, features and place of production (e.g. Made in Germany). Example: The high-end converter ADI-8 QS integrates the best electronic components with a sophisticated hardware design, provides a fully symmetrical signal path, MADI and AES/EBU support, integrated Limiters, Remote Control support and is a Made in Germany product.

best regards
Knut