Topic: Fireface UFX saved setup state

Hey guys
I just got my FF UFX today. Been running some tests and so far I am knocked out. It is superb.
I will be needing to run the unit in stand alone mode so I was looking at the different setups I could create then load from the front panel. I managed that ok but I now have a curious issue that I cannot find anything in the manual or the forum about.
If I save a setup in location 1 then move a fader on the input channel when I reload the set up the fader does not return to the "saved" state. Nor does the volume return I have to push the fader up myself again.

I can check a mute (input channel) or or move a fader on the output channels or software returns, even move the FX send or engage Dynamics on the input channel and they will all revert to saved state.
It seems (I haven't tested everything yet) that it is the both the fader and the pan that will not revert.

Is this normal behaviour?
I will be pulling my hair out on this one for the next few hours so I thought I'd post and maybe check back later to see if someone could help me with this.
Apologies in advance if I have made a rookie mistake.
I have the latest driver but I have not updated the firmware yet. I am always a bit nervous about that..

Device info tells me I have Version 1.10 but the firmware update I downloaded yesterday tells me when I right click on it Version 1.0.0.0 ???
Thanks in advance..

Re: Fireface UFX saved setup state

1.10 would be totally outdated. Please update first before further discussing this effect.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by RobC335 2012-09-10 13:39:11)

Hi and thank you for the prompt reply.
I now have Totalmix FX vers 0.984 and just updated the firmware to 1.51.
Hopefully these are the latest?
Unfortunately no change for me. If I load the factory setup none of the input faders move at all.
They just stay where I put them before I load any setup..
Am I missing something?
Thanks

And an update -  just tried a second computer and a different USB cable and exactly the same situation.

4 (edited by RobC335 2012-09-11 14:39:53)

Still haven't resolved the problem.
Maybe I am wrong but I can't see why I can't do this -

Can I setup the unit with the TotalFX software then use the save/load setup from the front panel?

I have three or four instances that I need to use the UFX in stand alone.
Each has a different configuration.

1. In a recording mode with 3 condensors.  (No vocals just acoustic)

2. In a rehearsal mode where I don't bother with the condensors (use a dynamic) and my acoustic goes straight in.

3. Is a vocal record mode only.

And I want to take to unit to gigs and record multi track direct to USB which will be a different setup again.

I would like to just plug everything in and recall my saved setup from the front panel depending on which of the above I am doing. I bought the UFX for the quality preamps and conversion but mostly for the fact it could be independent from the computer.

This is what I am trying to do.
Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

edit- I downloaded this from the net

"The only functions not available through the front panel are routing (carried out in the TotalMix software) and global hardware settings such as latency and clocking. Though this hardware-based control is useful and surprisingly easy to get to grips with it really comes into its own when the unit is used standalone.
There are six user and two factory setups that can be stored in the UFX so a variety of states can be recalled without need for a host connection. This allows the UFX to provide multiple routing, monitoring and AD/DA conversion solutions outside of the standard computer-based environment."

Could it be as the routing functions are not available from the front panel they are overlooked when loading/saving from the front panel?
This would seem unlikely to me but I hope someone can shed some light on this for me..

Rob

For anyone interested the problem is resolved now after a phone call to a rep.
Seems like the unit won't load the routing settings unless the UFX is disconnected from the computer/software.
Seems a bit quirky that the DSP settings will load and be reflected in the software but the routing won't but I can live with that..

Well, and I thought you tried this in real stand-alone mode already (as you mentioned stand-alone in the beginning).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

If I was confused why the software wasn't responding then it should have been pretty obvious I still had the USB cable plugged in..
It's one thing for the unit to be able to work independently of the computer.
Quite a different thing when the UFX is UNABLE to work independently whilst connected.
Is that in the manual?

RobC335 wrote:

Quite a different thing when the UFX is UNABLE to work independently whilst connected.

Isn't that a contradiction in terms...? Connected and independent...?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

9 (edited by RobC335 2012-09-12 14:31:52)

Not at all.
I have used samplers and synths that operated with full functions all available on the unit.
A lot of these units will come with a software interface and I have never seen an instance of the connected software that inhibited the full functionality of the device.
Sorry I didn't read anywhere in the manual about "real" standalone mode.

Connected and independent are not a contradiction in English.

Connected and isolated are and it seems the unit must be isolated from the computer..

This is not a sampler, it is an audio interface. Standalone means standalone. Even the website says so: "Therefore the Fireface UFX is able to operate fully stand-alone, without any connected computer."
But then again, in this day and age, people need to be told that coffee is hot and that objects in mirror are closer than they appear...
HeadScratch
cool

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

11 (edited by RobC335 2012-09-12 14:42:13)

Sorry, something is getting lost in the translation.
Standalone does not mean automatically that it must be isolated.
It simply means that it CAN be operated without the computer.
Not that it MUST be operated with out the computer.

Sorry to inform you but the manual is not perfect English and I didn't know when to read between the lines and when not to..
Not that I understand a word of German of course.. smile

Point is that there is no switch in any menu to disable the 'online mode'. So it is fully logical that you can't operate it without the computer influencing it as long as it is connected. But I agree that in the chapter about Stand-alone mode it would be usefull to add a specific note about 'not connected=stand-alone'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME