Topic: Better sound if Lion 'clean install' : myth or reality ?

Hi everyone,

I just updated my Snow Leopard installation to Lion 10.7.4 - no fresh install, but update.

At first, my FF800 was no longer detected. However, just updating driver to latest version seemed to solve the issue. 

However, I was reading posts dating from 2011 where many seemed to have experienced problems, and that a fresh install made things better, more stable, allowed features not previously possible (such as changing sampling rate on the fly... - wonder why I would ''need'' this, but...), even ''better sounding''...

With all due respect to all of you guys - and this seemed to be endorsed by RME tech people here, are these 'better sounding' and other things urban legends or real?  Or, would it be possible (and I sincerely hope this is the case) that the problems that occured then are now solved issues with the new driver + 10.7.4 update combinations ? (many referred to 10.7.2 then...)

Again, I sincerely do not mean to be sarcastic to anyone here (even though I use the 'urban legend' image...

Cheers,
Rob

Re: Better sound if Lion 'clean install' : myth or reality ?

Whatever problems there may be with update installations of 10.7, sound quality issues are not known to be among these.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

here, in 10.7.2 fresh install, intensive sound work, AL & PT, UFX, no prob in 9 months.

4 (edited by togril 2012-09-13 11:57:17)

Not helpful I know, and annoying as it is, it is a V.GOOD THING to do clean installs (IMHO).
Sorry if I sound patronizing, there were probably good reasons you did it.

With a clean install, at least you know where you stand, and I say this from (somewhat bitter) experience!:-)

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

~ Albert Einstein

5 (edited by lanstrad 2012-09-13 12:10:29)

Thanks Daniel. This is reassuring.
Thanks to all.

I ' d also like to hear from some who may have "updated" (not fresh install) from SL to Lion with success?

Do you actually have problems ?

ndeflache wrote:

Do you actually have problems ?

Not that I'm aware of.... Time will tell, this update has just a couple of days and i have been using it just a few hours so far...,