Topic: Driver problem HDSP 9652

Hi, perhaps I have a similar problem, I hope you can help.  I am running HDSP9652 on win7pro x64 (Gigabyte Z77 UD5), I have firmware rev 108 and I am attempting to update to the latest driver 3.2.9.  I seemed to have it running fine 3 days ago and then without warning something changed and I started to get sync issues in cubase 5, pops and dropouts.  I decided to re-install the old driver 3.085, that installed ok but I still had pops and dropouts issue (I was suspecting now that it was IRQ related), now without changing anything, when I attempt to install the latest driver 3.2.9 it gives me an error saying that this driver is not intended for this platform and so the driver load fails.  I have restarted the process over and over, tried different ways to install only to continue having the same problem. 

What seems strange is that, I had 3.2.9 installed days ago and it was working perfectly, no glitches, no pops etc.

Re: Driver problem HDSP 9652

I guess you would need to find out what changed in the system... Did you run updates or so? Maybe try going back to an earlier system restore point.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel,

Thanks for your reply, I have been away for a while.  I managed to understand what was causing the dropouts, glitches etc. Rather annoyingly, when I upgraded my DAW I went in particular search of a motherboard capable of integrating with the latest quad chips but essentially for my 9652 - a PCI slot.  Unfortunately however, I now understand that native PCI practically no longer exists on new, up to date motherboards, they are bridged via PCI express and this has affected the normal operation of the 9652. Essentially it seems there is a problem with the digital optical output signal. The reason I did not realise at first was due to having both AEB-I and AEB-O cards, the audio from those is apparently unaffected.  The loss of optical connectivity is not desirable but, like many, I have greatly reduced the need for that connectivity these days.  This brings me to the remaining issue and I am surprised that you have not had others with a similar problem.  I have now upgraded to windows 8, (yes I do so enjoy the punishment I put myself through) and once again I cannot install the latest driver 3.2.9, it is giving me the same message as before, saying that this driver is not intended for this platform. 

I had exactly the message under windows 7, but then somehow after continually trying I managed to get it to work but I didn't do anything different on each occasion, it is definitely not working again now under windows 8 and I have reverted back to 3.08.5, which fortunately seems to be ok except it does not retain the settings, I have to re-input after every boot.

I am hardly a novice when it comes to computing and so today I have even trawled through windows policy editors to turn off every kind of driver certificate signature control etc. 

Appreciate any help advice,
Thanks.

The PCI Express to PCI bridge used on such motherboards can not let the optical I/Os fail while the analog I/Os work perfectly.

IMHO either your 9652 is dying slowly, or you have to clean its gold contacts carefully with a rubber erazer. If they are not 100% clean the card might get a wrong ID, or other strange things happen.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME