Topic: RME / Ableton massive droputs on OSX 10.7

Hello!

I have a big problem with audio dropouts in my current liveset. But first, here´s my setup:

-Macbook Pro 15" (early 2011), 2,2GHz, i7, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3
-OS 10.7.3
-Ableton 8.2.6 / 8.3.4 (same problems)
-RME Fireface 800 v2.77, driver v3.10
-Behringer ADA8000 Ultragain Pro 8 Digital, connected (and synced) via Adat to get more Outs out of the RME

Before the RME I had an old Motu and never experienced problems like this, but I never did livesets like this before. Before I had mostly just a few playback channels and a lot if Input and live processing. Now I have about 100 Audio channels plus Midi, one Midi track that "listens" all the time and gives the midi from the keyboard via oldschool Midi (no USB) to the Virus Ti. Never more than 6 channels + 1 Midi play at once. I use the session view and start master scenes for each song including tempo changes….. I use 24bit wav files for playbacks.

First I had the buffer size of ableton set to 512 like I always had but I experienced heavy dropouts in the whole audio. So I used the test tone and cpu simulation to 80% and found that in most cases brizzel dropouts appear. When I set the buffer to around 200-220 it´s ok, when I use less it bruzzels and stops again when I go really really small buffer size. So I thought 220 would be ok. - Dropouts! Sometimes every few seconds, then randomly some per hour, very randomly.

First I used to sync the Behringer with wordclock. I pulled the cable off and set the sync to "adat". - Dropouts!

Then I switched the whole Behringer off. - Dropouts!

Then I updated my Live to 8.3.4 - Dropouts! So I went on, trying to reproduce the mistakes to get closer to the core of it….

Then I generated low sine tones of 60 minutes and played them from 1. A fresh ableton set, then iTunes and recorded the Outs of the RME with another computer. - No failures. (I didn´t check all the 1h long waveforms visually but I checked with Wavelabs 3d analysis and there´s only the one frequency of the sine wave to see over the whole time)

Then I played 6 channels from a fresh Ableton set plus Midi, and the same from inside my current liveset. No failures. (Checked with Wavelab analysis again)

Then I thought, when a dropout of the whole audio driver, caused for example by a problem between RME driver and the OS-X, there should be a hard cut of the waveforms which should be hearable in a high (and low) frequent click, and also should appear visually in the Wavelab 3d-freq-analysis. So I routed all outs in my liveset via Abletons sends to the main out and put a high-cut on it and played back songs of the liveset. I recorded that signal with the second computer. - Dropouts appear… and: they do not contain any high frequencies. They sound as low as the filtered music. So I think, I now found out that the problem appears inside Ableton and not after the audio has passed Abletons output.

Questions:
1. Do you think I am right?
2. Does anyone have the same problems or have any ideas where it could come from?

My next ideas are:
-to change all playback files from 24bit into 16bit (but I checked the cpu (it´s at max 7-8%) and I checked the hard disk activity by OSXs Acivity monitor (it´s just reading from time to time and doesnt seem to be stressed))
-to setup the whole liveset in Cubase and see what happens
-or to setup the whole liveset again in a fresh set

I hope, someone has an idea or we can exchange some information.

Manu

Re: RME / Ableton massive droputs on OSX 10.7

When you had the old MOTU, did you also run Lion? Is it possible to download your Live set for checking it on my setup (early 2011 17" MBP with Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion)?

Yes it´s exactly the same setup, the only other thing is the RME. Thanks for the offer of testing it. Do you also have the Fireface 800? I am not sure if I can give the liveset away, because I play for a bigger electro act and it contains some unreleased material. The other thing is, it´s 3GB large. I could place some dummies in it and you throw your files in, would that be an idea?

Today I worked half of the day, setting up the liveset again but this time in Cubase and with the Fireface and the Behringer, I hope it works. If it works then I know it´s a problem of Ableton and the RME.

4 (edited by Timur Born 2012-09-28 08:56:00)

I do have a Fireface 800 here, yes. And working with dummies should work as long as you make sure that the dummies cause the same dropouts on your setup (to make sure that it's no harddrive bottleneck on your part).

In my own testing I did notice that I get less performance out of Ableton Live on Lion compared to Snow Leopard. But the same was more or less true for other software, too, albeit doing a clean installation of Lion (instead of the usual upgrade procedure) did help at least with Cubase.

One thing about the MOTU vs. Fireface likely is that the MOTU may use bigger safety-buffers (additional buffers independent of what you set). You can check that via Live's Audio Preferences by comparing the round-trip latency in milliseconds, given that the MOTU driver reports them correctly (a loopback test is the only way to know for sure).

Since I am experienced with Ableton Live RME Support asked me to look into your case. So don't wonder if you don't get an answer from him yet. wink

Thanks a lot for your offer. Meanwhile I everything in cubase for the show tomorrow but of course I want to find out what´s going wrong there. The Ableton support dropped me a line and said that I should try 256 or 512 as buffer sizes. I will check that when I have some time on sunday or monday and if this doesn´t help, I´ll ask you about testing the dummy set ok?

Ok! smile

So in Cubase it's working as expected?

I was going to ask if there was a reason for having a low buffer size in your set?  I.e on some of the sets I'm programming I automate fx processing on instruments and vocals live and for this a very low buffer is required making the chance of a dropout more likely as far as I'm aware.

I run a set that is about 1.2GB and have done for a lot of big shows with no problems (touch wood) whatsoever in terms of dropouts.  The buffer I set is 512 for this show as we are not doing any fx processing.  We have around 30 songs in the set and jump between them, sometimes automating scene changes sometimes triggering.

I also have some weird audio problems with ableton (8.3.4) after installing 10.8.1 (same with 10.8.2)
I used to have 10.6.8 with exactly the same setup, and no audio problems there.

I have :
-Macbook Pro 15" (also early 2011), 2,2Ghz i7, 8GB 1333MHz DDR3
-Fireface UFX v 1.51, driver 3.12 (firewire)
-Ableton Live 8.3.4, buffer set to 109 samples

The problem sounds like cpu overload, but the cpu meter in ableton keeps steadily in between 17-21%.
I only experience this from time to time, and usually quitting tmfx, and rebooting my UFX helps.

I don't know if the problem is with the combo of ableton+lion (/mountain lion) or rme drivers+mountain lion, or rme drivers+ableton.  Would be nice to figure it out.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Best to provide a download to a demonstration set so that I can try to reproduce.

Hi Timur!

Just sent you my live set download link. The problem gets recorded, and again it disappeared after rebooting my UFX, and TMFX, so I really think this might be a driver related issue with mountain lion (/lion?)

Ok I was very busy and didn`t have time to check out if the dropout problrem still appears with the changed buffer size. But the same set in Cubase runs very stable - no problems. I played now other gigs with a not so big set in Ableton but it contains much more live processing and I worled with a buffer with 256 and the RME and it worked stable. I hope I will have time to veryfy it with the other liveset but it maybe takes a couple of hours cause the problems don´t appear all the time. But I hope it was the buffer size.

One thing I ask myself: Whan Ableton know that this cann appear with buffer sizes, why do they offer that tool to check out the optimal buffer size? They could simply limit it to 128, 256, 512...

I think with the buffer size in Ableton it's a little bit trial and error to find the optimal setting for your system.  The fact that you can type in any buffer size can be quite handy for live FX processing to get the optimal settings as you can hear pretty quickly if the system is having problems.  Good that it's all working anyway...

bsfreq wrote:

Hi Timur!

Just sent you my live set download link. The problem gets recorded, and again it disappeared after rebooting my UFX, and TMFX, so I really think this might be a driver related issue with mountain lion (/lion?)

I just got struck down by a real flu, but I received the Set and will take a look as soon as I am back up to speed. wink

Timur Born wrote:

I just got struck down by a real flu, but I received the Set and will take a look as soon as I am back up to speed. wink

No worries matey, just take your time and kill the flu first. DeadHorse
I've got a lot of stuff going on too, and I also just downloaded the new TMFX 0.986rc1 and will give that one a try..

15 (edited by Timur Born 2012-11-20 16:27:29)

Sorry for taking that long. I just took some opportunities to turn my Macbook Pro (early 2011 i7 2.3) into a complete setup running OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Using the same setup and various versions of Live 8 (including the 64 bit Beta 9) I can play around 45 tracks of "Tarekith' Live Performance Test" (uses only internal Live effects) at 128 samples on Snow Leopard, but only around 20 tracks on Lion/Mountain Lion. The reason seems to be more aggressive power-saving behavior of 10.7/10.8 and Live being especially prone to this.

Both Lion and Mountain Lion were installed cleanly (formatted) with everything being migrated from the Snow Leopard partition afterwards. Doing a clean installation of ML _without_ importing the old applications (and especially without running all my background processes), settings and data from the other partition increases track-count to 24. Still far too low compared to my fully working Snow Leopard installation.

One workaround is to create CPU load, like increasing the CPU Load slider of Coolbook (www.coolbook.se). You can literally watch Live's internal CPU meter drop while Coolbook's CPU Load slider increases.

Now the important part: This all happens the very same with the onboard (PCIe) audio interface of my Macbook Pro. So the RME driver does not seem to be the culprit! If someone experiences less problems with another interface (especially Firewire) then it might be related to those drivers taxing the CPU differently (especially some FW interfaces are known to beat CPU power-saving features on Macs).

Hi Timur, nice work.

In reference to using coolbook, I'm assuming this app creates a larger load in order to prevent Mountain Lion from shutting down one of the cores and therefor keep more processing power available for Ableton?

Also would be interested to know how much of an improvement you got in terms of tracks using coolbook and ML if you tested it.

Having said all that it seems that Snow Leopard is the best option for running CPU intensive Live Sets and will still be a good option for Ableton Live 9.

17 (edited by Timur Born 2012-11-21 15:35:40)

The "CPU Load" slider in Coolbook just creates extra load which keeps the CPU from power-saving. In return you get high temps and loudly spinning fans. So it's not a real solution, but something to analyze the problem. The reason why it improves audio performance is because Coolbook runs at a lower CPU priority than Live. Another advantage of Coolbook is that you can control the amount of extra CPU load. Begin with the CPU Load slider at 2 (out of 10) and see how much you really need.

With Core2Duo Macs Coolbook was able to take complete control of the CPU after manually turning off OS X' own CPU kext. I did that in the past (late 2008 MBP) in order to use low CPU loads for low latency work in Live (like sending a single track of vocals through). Unfortunately Coolbook cannot handle i5/i7 CPUs.

The improvements are what I reported in my last post already (same for Lion and Mountain Lion), but I see that I didn't make that clear.

20 tracks without Coolbook's CPU load, 45 tracks with Coolbook's CPU load, aka the same as Snow Leopard without Coolbook. I am measuring against the sinusoid test-tone (0% simulated load, low frequency around 100 Hz) while running playback. The latter allows me to hear even single dropped samples.

Now the question is why 10.7/10.8 doesn't ramp up CPU frequency (and c-states) when Live is already working hard on its limits?!

Thanks for that.  That makes it really clear.  I would also to know the answer to that question.  I work with Live an increasing amount these days and with one of my recent projects the artist went out and bought a Retina Macbook pro with 16gb ram thinking this would be the fastest option but it seems that Snow Leopard is not able to run on these new macbooks.

I am in contact with some new Retina MBP users who may give me some additional information. It's well possible that the CPU power states controls of Lion/ML work better (as in properly) on current Ivy Bridge hardware compared to my Sandy Bridge MBP.

Hi Timur,

I now, unexpectedly given our recent conversations, have in my possession a Retina Macbook Pro for a new project.  I would be interested to run the same test project to see if there is a difference in terms of how the CPU is used.  If you send me the project I'll run it on this system to see how it performs.

21 (edited by Timur Born 2012-11-23 10:58:46)

Here is the Live Set:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzLMhL … 0dsNDMxWkU

Start playback of the set (in a loop), turn on Live's sinusoid test-tone (but at 0% simulated CPU load) and then keep duplicating tracks until you hear dropouts.

Dropouts during the "Duplicate" action are normal in Live, but after that it should run without dropouts. And using a low frequency test-tone (around 100 Hz, or below a low-cut filter if your speakers use one) helps to discern dropouts more easily.

Don't turn the volume too loud and keep changing the frequency from time to time to allow your ears to get some rest from the ongoing sinusoid.

Also compare with the onboard sound of the MBP and any other audio interface you might have around. One user of a Lynx Hilo (USB) claims that he can play 48 tracks on his 2.6 Retina MBP without dropouts and _without_ having to create artificial CPU load (via Coolbook). On my 2.3 i7 (2011 MBP) I get 45 tracks on Snow Leopard without artificial CPU load, but on Lion and Mountain Lion I need to keep the CPU artificially loaded to get anywhere near track count.

Ok I'm testing now.  Does it matter that I don't have the sample for the conga?

23 (edited by Timur Born 2012-11-23 15:14:32)

Good question, it's part of the standard Live library, so I always had it. Or at least I thought so. Maybe I need to check my parameters for saving the set (edited the extra tracks out and saved again under new path). The important part is the CPU load created by the effects, so just load any other sample into it.

So today I ran a few tests....I found the sample in the end.  For some reason ableton couldn't locate it initially.

The Retina Macbook does appear to be reasonably quick but then again it is quadcore as opposed to my other dual core Macbook Pros, interestingly I found a marked difference between the Fireface UCX and the internal sound card for the Retina:-

Macbook Pro Retina 2.3 i7 Quadcore 1600 Mhz 8GB RAM
Mountain Lion
Ableton Live 8 Beta 8.4 (same for beta)
128 Samples

Internal Soundcard - 19 Tracks
Fireface UCX USB  - 35 Tracks

The other computer I use live, I don't know if these results tally with yours entirely but this seemed to be the results:-

Macbook Pro 2.8 i7 Dualcore 8GB 1333 Mhz RAM
Ableton Live 8.4
128 Samples

Mountain Lion
Fireface UCX USB - 14 Tracks

Snow Leopard - Boot from external drive
Fireface UCX USB - 19 Tracks

This is all messed up. With similar setups we get different results, including results from other people I know (and still evaluate). I will need to run some tests via USB and report back afterwards.

Yes it is strange.  One thing I forgot to mention is I tried the Retina with the Thunderbolt to Firewire cable and it was something like 24 channels.  It was striking the difference between internal sound, firewire, and USB.  I'll do some more tests also.

27 (edited by Timur Born 2012-11-25 15:58:28)

While testing keep an eye on whether you have any external device connected or not. Especially try internal sound without anything external connected (not even an USB stick). Then do the same test with everything connected (especially the FW stuff).

I will post some comparison for internal FW vs. TB-FW soon.

Hey Ho!

I am back here in the thread. Nothing changed for me. A while ago I did the new liveset with Cubase and it works fine. Now I prepare another liveset for a different Band in Ableton and.... guess what.... DROPOUTS again. This seemd to be a shitty Ableton problem. Now I used buffer sizes like 128, 256 and so on and I still have the dropouts at a cpu of about 10%. That´s ridiculous. But it definitely doesn´t seem to be a problem of RME drivers. I have the newest version of Live so I really don´t know what to do. We fly to russia for some gigs on thursday and the liveset is so complex that I cannot switch to Cubase so quickly. Has anyone some ideas?

Did you try to download Coolbook and use the "CPU Load" slider (between 2-10) for testing yet? This would give an idea whether you are suffering from the same issues as saw on my setup.

I am just about trying it. I have put the Coolbook slider to 4 and run my set and wait if it happens or not. Sometimes it happens each 5 minutes and then again after 90 minutes. So it will take a while. You mean you are suffering by a "hidden" energy saving mode, is that correct?
The funny thing is, that I only have problems in Ableton. Cubase works fine so far.

Do you absolutely need a low buffer size?  I haven't had time to do more testing but I was usually only getting dropouts on all the systems I tried when CPU was around 45-50% upwards so that is strange.  Also another thing that springs to mind is what midi ports, if any do you have activated?

Yes I need a low buffer size because I use drum triggers on my audio ins and use a little replacer-tool to trigger samples with that. But 256 samples is not really a low buffer size for a good system or not? I use no real midi, but 1 usb keyboard and 1 Nanokontrol Midicontroller, that´s it. I go on trying with the CoolBook thing. Just called the Ableton support, they have no clue what´s the problem. I sent them a status report and now let´s see what happens but I don´t expect too much from them.

Ok, I got answer by the Ableton support and on the phone and by email they just asked the standard about latest driver versions and blabla. They had no idea, no clever questions and of course said they never heard about that, (like always). The funny thing is, we are just on tour and our sound engineer knew that problem since a long time and told me that many people have to open "cpu hungry" plugs to solve that and told me it could be the division by zero thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_by_zero. So the Coolbook cpu thing is the best solution until now as it seems. I set the cpu slider to 4 for the rehearsals and a couple of shows and had no dropouts so far. So thanks for this idea!!!!
Would be cool if we can exchange some news via this post when somebody finds out something. And again: Only Ableton is responsible for that shit in my case, all other programs like Logic and Cubase run well.

34 (edited by Timur Born 2012-12-09 12:45:35)

My own reports go back as far as 2008 (when I originally bought my first Mac), but to be fair: Live is mostly a victim of OS X' aggressive power-saving behavior and lack of any user-controls. Other applications may suffer less, but they can be affected as well. Of course that doesn't excuse that Ableton support claims to know nothing of the sort. ed:

With Core2Duo CPU's I could turn off OS X power-management completely (which unfortunately turns the CPU to its _lowest_ clock) and then control CPU clock via Coolbook. But Coolbook does not support that feature with iX CPUs. And even back then it took me quite some time to figure out that the corresponding CPU kext had to be disabled completely, because it kept interfering with Coolbook (kept clocking down the CPU for very short durations even when you set the clock to a fixed value in Coolbook).

I keep having an eye on the Hackintosh scene, because they are the only ones capable (and willing) of messing around with the under the hood mechanics. But up to now there is no general solution for Mac owners (the Hackintosh scene usually tried to _enable_ power-saving on PC hardware).