Topic: Main out volume jumps all the way up when loading workspace

I've got a problem with 10.8.2 and TMFX 0.985

Each time I load my workspace, the ouput volume jumps all the way up to 0.
I couldn't find this from the manual, but I believe I've read somewhere (maybe here) that main out volume is not supposed to change when loading workspaces. I tried saving my workspace with main out volume down, but it jumps back up each time.

I also get some weird panics with LcXmu that didn't happen before. I really don't know which one to blame, LcXmu or TMFX.. My LcXmu settings have been the same for a few months already, but panics started to happen after I installed 10.8.2. When starting LcXmu, it's display window values start to flickr, and just about every setting in TMFX change with it randomly. I have to quit LcXmu, reload my workspace on TMFX, and start LcXmu again to get things up and running again.

Just to make it clear, I have my controllers disconnected (and LcXmu closed) when loading my workspace, so no midi weirdness is affecting TMFX settings when loading the workspace..

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Re: Main out volume jumps all the way up when loading workspace

There is a setting for main volume in the TM FX preferences.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, I see. I have "Do not load main volume/balance" setting checked in preferences. Is it normal that the volume jumps up when this is checked?
I think it would be more logical (and safe) to keep the volume down insted of turning it all the way up by default!

After unchecking the box, and checking it again the volume doesn't jump up anymore!
Hopefully this fully fixed it and it won't jump up again on a bad spot. HeadScratch

bsfreq wrote:

Hopefully this fully fixed it and it won't jump up again on a bad spot. HeadScratch

It seems that it didn't! After the next LcXmu panic, the same thing happens. When loading my workspace, the volume jumps up to 0. So something's not right here..

6 (edited by bsfreq 2013-02-03 01:04:32)

Unfortunately, I'm still having this issue with tmfx 0.989.
Hurt my ears a bit today because of the loud feedback. sad

This only happens when lcxmu crashes and messes up my tmfx levels. Usually when I'm sending a lot of midi commands or sysex to my other midi gear, using midi to change my synth sounds etc..(might also have something to do with virtual ports becoming active or inactive while lcxmu is on. This is not a problem when operating normally, only when doing something a bit out of the ordinary. And really the biggest problem is the main out level jump).

When the lcxmu panic happens, I then quit lcxmu, load my saved tmfx workspace and that's when the main out jumps up. Each time. Main out level doesn't change when lcxmu panics, only when I load the tmfx workspace. I have saved main out to a very low level in my workspace, and I have also selected "do not load main volume" in preferences.  If I load workspace without a lcxmu crash, the main out stays put.

Does someone have better knowledge about mac os x midi handling.. Could it be that a midi message is hanging somewhere in the memory and gets received by tmfx only after I load my workspace?
This sounds weird to me as i have already closed lcxmu and nothing should be sending any midi. And also weird that only the main out volume jumps up. Other output levels are loaded properly..

Well, you disabled that function. If you let TM FX load the main volume it will be set to the right volume that you stored before (I bet). And now with all this additional info it seems your first post was a bit misleading.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by bsfreq 2013-02-03 11:52:19)

MC wrote:

Well, you disabled that function. If you let TM FX load the main volume it will be set to the right volume that you stored before (I bet). And now with all this additional info it seems your first post was a bit misleading.

Not really sure why it was misleading, but perhaps I was not being clear. HeadScratch I also didn't know (still don't know exactly) what is causing these panics. And now I only know when it might happen.
But yeah, originally the problem was the same with "do not load main volume" checked and unchecked.
.. and I still don't know why the level jumps up to 0 when "do not load main volume" is checked. I don't think this is supposed to happen?
("do not load" sounds to me like the fader should stay where it is before loading the ws, or maybe drop all the way down instead..)

But your're right. Now it works when unchecking the "do not load main volume" option. I do feel a bit dumb to not have tried this with the latest tmfx before. ed:

Thanks again!