Topic: Fireface Mixer MIDI control bug

Hi!

I have a Fireface 400 (Firmware 1.71, Driver 3.12) and encountered a possible bug using MIDI to remotely control the Fireface Mixer. Mapping/scaling of MIDI controller values to seems to be a little inconsistent: Sometimes incoming controller values are rounded to the next whole dB, sometimes they are not rounded. I am using controller numbers 102 to 109 on MIDI channel 9 to control the volume of the eight analog outputs.

Steps to reproduce the bug:
1. In the Fireface Mixer application the fader for analog output 1 (AN1) is all the way down.
2. Send a MIDI message to the software: controller no. 102, value 52, channel 9 (Hex: 0xB8 0x66 0x34). The mixer displays a gain value of -12.0 dB.
3. Send the same message again. Now the mixer displays a gain value of -11.9 dB and the fader in the software moves a tiny bit. Sending the same message a third time does not change the gain display or the fader.
4. If the fader is moved or another value is sent via MIDI, the mixer kind of resets, so that sending the same MIDI message twice triggers the bug again.

I hope this bug can soon be fixed. I am in the process of building a custom software monitoring application using Max/MSP that remotely controls the Fireface Mixer and includes a kind of snapshot automation. Reliably recalling settings is next impossible with these kind of rounding errors.

Thank & Regards
Jens

Re: Fireface Mixer MIDI control bug

This into all analog outputs ?

www.bonisaudio.com

bonis wrote:

This into all analog outputs ?

This happens for all analog and digital outputs. Rows 1 and 2 in the Fireface Mixer software don't seem to be affected.

This is by design and will not be changed. In several units the third row does not exist, it is a complicated calculation of the values in first and second row. Some interpolation/rounding effects are normal.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME