Topic: Newbie Qn - XLR to TS Query

Just got my UFX :-) Loving it - initially setup was delayed and I started to get frustrated as the routing didn't appear to be working as it should based on what I'd read - then after 10 minutes I noticed that master volume of the synth I was using to test my routing was all the way down :oops. Everything started working fine when I fixed that.

Two questions re TS/TRS/XLR cabling. I have a AT-45 Organ that has TS inputs and TS outputs. Would using a XLR to TRS cable from the UFX main outs to these inputs be likely to damage either the UFX or the organ? And presumably if I replace them with XLR to TS cables that would then be OK ?

Similar question for using TS to TS cable to connect the organ outputs to the UFX's TRS inputs on the rear (1-8)? Or should I go to the front panel's combo inputs 9-12?:o

2 (edited by vinark 2012-10-15 11:39:56)

Re: Newbie Qn - XLR to TS Query

IMHO, I would use TS-TS cable to rear  or front combo. Unless there is a ground loop issue then I would try TS to TRS with TS organ side connected to TR UFX. Don't use TRS on organ side, it won't damage anything but won't work optimally either.

Oh and for UFX to organ, I would use XLR to TS, or easier TS-TS from one of the TRS outputs.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

3 (edited by rAC 2012-10-16 08:19:26)

Thanks for the advice - is there anywhere that covers this stuff clearly for the non-electrical engineer http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/img/smili … kratz2.gif

I'm using a TS-TS from the organ to inputs 11 and 12 - wanted to be sure that if I used 1-8 on the back that there was no likelihood of damage to either rme or organ from your answer I understand no.

For the outputs until I get XLR to TS, I am using TS-TS from ANs7-8, but can I clarify is there a likelihood of damage to either if I used AN1-2 and XLR-TRS to organ?

4 (edited by vinark 2012-10-16 08:45:34)

There really is no advantage to the XLR outs to TS. Unless ofcourse you have a different reason for it.

The only way to damage those ins and outs is either by applying phantom power to something that can´t handle it or if a physical defect puts full mains power on the in or outputs, but that is life-threatening anyway fryingpan . In normal use they are pretty indestructible. And simple rule; use balanced cables if both sides are balanced and unbalenced (TS) if one or both sides are unbalanced.

Good luck!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

These keyboards are equipped with line outs (for monitor connection) and sometimes line ins (for aux input to play-along), and they are almost always TS (unbalanced) signal connection. There are few 'stage keyboards' which is equipped with XLR line outs, and they are designed for the use with a mixer, DI box, and long cable run. I believe your organ is not for 'stage keyboard' purpose, so they are probably just TS (unbalanced) in and outs. These TS ins and outs accept 'line level' signals at -10dBV, which is sometimes called 'consumer line level'.

From and to UFX, as Vincent suggested, use TS-TS cable for ins and outs, but just keep the length of the cable as minimal as possible. If you use long TS-TS cable like 100ft, then you'll pick up some noises. There are no anticipated electrical damage, but on the UFX side, you may be better using -10 dBV gain setting.

Thanks Vincent & Masaaki