Topic: Presonus Faderport - HDSPe MADI

Hello,

i would like to know if there are any known issues concerning the faderport and HDSPe MADI.
We found out, that the faderport is not working on our RME HDSPe MADI - Computers (which are 5000x chipsets (TYAN Tempest and ASUS DSGC-DW MBs  - each DualDual Cores)).
Faderport is installed (in the device-manager - as a audiodevice - as it should be) but will not be selectable in "sounds und audio" / systemcontrol,  where i can select the 3 MadiMidi Ports for example.
On all other PCs in the House (Asus A8Vs with x2 cpus and several other boards) with RME PCI HDSP Cards installed, faderport works fine as expected - at least with N3.
So before reinstalling running systems and wasting precious time i would like to ask you - honest people of RME ;-) - are there any issues you know that we do not know about mididevices / conficts, etc or is it rather a MB / chipset issue because these two things are the only ones which are different to our other MBs ?

Regards

joerg

All PCs in the house:
XP SP2, latest updates
Nuendo 3 & 4
Wavelab 5 & 6
RME Hardware (Micstasys, ADI8QSs, ADI648s, ADI8pros)

Re: Presonus Faderport - HDSPe MADI

There have been several issues reported with the 5000 chipset and the RME hardware. We are working on updated drivers, so maybe you wait until they get released some time next week. Of course, as the RME hardware works, it could also be a Faderport driver issue.

And you should check this one:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_tech … q_10entryd

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello,

because it is christmas time, i took the opportunity to escape from family-commitments to do some "important investigations" ;-).

I did some new installations of xp.proSP2 (32) to see what the rme HDSPe MADI driver does to our computers (Asus dscg-dw & Tyan Tempest - both 5000x chipset).

I did a clean install from scratch with all updates. I installed Nuendo 3 & 4, installed all drivers for the mainboards, onboard soundcard, Presonus Faderport, USB Keyboard, etc - but not the HDSPeMadi Card yet.

Everything is working like it should work: Midi In AND(!) Out of Faderport and USB-Keyboard is shown and working.
Realtek HD Audio Manager is working.

So after making sure that everything is working i installed the latest drivers (hdsp_wdm_3056) for the HDSPeMadi Card.

Here is the result:

Realtek HD Audio Manager : "EAccessViolation" - Application is not working anymore.
Midi Output of Faderport is missing
Midi Output of USB Keyboard is missing

So the problem has nothing to do with this description (what i checked before without success - numbers for wave or midi go only up to 5 or 6 in maximum) :http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_tech ? q_10entryd - and it does not matter if you got an existing installation or a brandnew one.
If you deinstall the rme driver, the problem disappears.

I also set up a Vista 64 System with Nuendo 4. Here there is NO problem with the Realtek HD Audio Manager and the HDSP MADI and no problem with the USB keyboard. (Faderport is supposed not to work in 64bit environment, so i did not check it)

Any  ideas...?

Merry X-Mas

Reduce the number of WDM devices in the Settings dialog, reboot and see what happens.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Holy s**t,
what a chrismas present. This did it !
I had to reduce it down to 8 to get it all working, 16 released the USB Keyboard and the Faderport, 8 then also the Realtek HD Manager. More or less a RTFM-thing when i think about it - maybe my fault:

"WDM Devices
Not before Vista the OS had been
capable to handle more than 32
WDM stereo devices. Therefore
under W2k/XP it often makes
sense to intentionally limit their
number."

Maybe you could ad to the manual that it might steal midi-ports and stuff as well .
The only bad thing is that we assigned every studio to use 31/32 as the main stereo out (this affects also wavelab) - but this should be no big problem - we can use the dsp mixer for it.

Thanks a lot Matthias !

Best regards

Joerg

I have never seen that this WDM device limit have anything to say on my machines.
And this is with the 5000x chipset.
I have all my MIDI devices working with the WDM devices set to 32 in the RME driver.

However it is a known BUG in Nuendo 4 and Faderport drivers that they do not work in Nuendo 4.
Will be fixed in upcoming Nuendo release and new drivers from Presonus.

P

@psvennevig

Hi,
yes that's strange. What MOBO do you use ? Is the onboardsound still working when you have installed the HDSPe Madi Card ?
Are you using USB devices with drivers or "legacy"/MS drivers with the USB gear ?

btw:
faderport now also works with N4 - check this:
http://www.presonus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3618

Joerg

joerg63 wrote:

@psvennevig

Hi,
yes that's strange. What MOBO do you use ? Is the onboardsound still working when you have installed the HDSPe Madi Card ?
Are you using USB devices with drivers or "legacy"/MS drivers with the USB gear ?

btw:
faderport now also works with N4 - check this:
http://www.presonus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3618

Joerg

Cool that the Faderport now works!
Thanks.

P