Topic: Midi Latency - Playback too early with Mac + Logic + RME UFX

Hi,

this is my first post. I just got a new RME UFX to replace my old MOTU Traveler and I'm running into MIDI Problems.
When I record MIDI files with my Nord Electro 3 Keyboard into Logic and play them back - it's all fine.
When I send those Midi Files back to the Keyboard to get another sound or add more tracks it's sent and recorded
much too fast. The audio I record coming from the Nord is much to early and doesn't fit at all. By much too early I mean around 50 to 80 ms before the midi note.
I never had this problem with my MOTU Interface and there is nothing I changed inside of Logic.
My setup is: Mac osx 10.6.8 Logic 9.1.7 RME UFX with latest drivers and firmware from Sept. 2012.
I would be very happy if someone could help me out!

Thanks!

Re: Midi Latency - Playback too early with Mac + Logic + RME UFX

Make sure the Recording Delay in Logic Preferences is set to zero.

Macmini '19 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM, MacOS 10.15.2, LogicProX 10.4.8, FF400, UAD2 Satellite Octo

Thanks for the fast answer but it's at 0 samples.
I/0 Buffer at 64 Samples.
Plugin Latency Compensation - All
Low Latency Mode not enabled because i'm not using an instrument from my DAW - I just want to record...

Midi Input Delay is at 0.0 ms.

The RME Soundcards are so damn fast - they are even ahead of time. ;-)
I'm open for all suggestions as I'm running out of Ideas here...

Are there any latency inducing plug-ins on the Stereo Out?
Have you tried with Low Latency Mode enabled?

Macmini '19 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM, MacOS 10.15.2, LogicProX 10.4.8, FF400, UAD2 Satellite Octo

Hey redlogic, thanks for your help!
Low latency mode enabled made no difference.
But I had some plugins on the stereo out (waves and sonnox) and they were bypassed.
I removed them and the problem disappeared!
But this leaves me even more confused -
Why didn't this happen with my MOTU Interface?
Why does it produce latency when the plug ins are bypassed??
So it's not possible to use midi in a live setting with plug ins on the stereo out?
Thanks again!

roughgear wrote:

Why does it produce latency when the plug ins are bypassed??

If Plug-in Delay Compensation is set to All, bypassing plug-ins on busses, auxes, and outputs will not eliminate the latency that they create. You must actually remove these plug-ins from the Insert slots to eliminate latency.

If Plug-in Delay Compensation is set to Audio and Software Instrument Tracks, bypassing plug-ins on busses, auxes, and outputs will eliminate the latency that they create.

Working with Plug-in Latency Compensation

roughgear wrote:

So it's not possible to use midi in a live setting with plug ins on the stereo out?

You can use plug ins on the Stereo Out...just not latency inducing plug-ins.

Thanks a million! Thanks a lot & Thank you!
BTW: Thanks for your answer!
Also the note on the bottom is very helpful:
Note: As Logic Pro has no direct control over the audio outputs of external devices, plug-in latency compensation cannot work for MIDI tracks that trigger external sound modules. If you activate full plug-in latency compensation and insert latency-inducing plug-ins, external MIDI signals will be out of sync with the delayed audio streams. Logic Pro allows you to circumvent this issue with the External Instrument plug-in:  Insert it (as you would insert a software instrument plug-in on instrument channels) to route the audio outputs of your external MIDI devices to the inputs of your audio hardware—and monitor them through Logic Pro. This allows you to compensate for the delays of any audio streams coming from MIDI devices during playback.