Topic: Windows 8 support planned?

Hi,
I'm evaluating an upgrade from Windows 7 64-bit to Windows 8. Been reading through the forums and noticed that some people had issues with installing the drivers for the device or having it recognised within Windows 8. In particular, most of the people that experienced this problem had a Fireface 400.

I have a FF800, so I'm hoping that I won't run into issues. Noted that some of AD/DA experts and mods have successfully installed the Fireface 800 with Windows 8 on their machines, so I am really keen that I don't run into any problems as well.

Of particular importance to this thread is the fact that officially, there is no support for Windows 8 on RME's website as of now. I'm hoping that RME will come out with a statement of intent to this effect, just in case I run into problems like other people do.

I would not use Windows 8 and will stick with Windows 7 in case my FF800 doesn't work with it, or RME explicitly states there's no chance in hell of a new, approved driver for use with the OS. I love this RME product too much!

And knowing how great these guys have been with putting out updates through all these years, I'm confident they'll come out with something ASAP.

Do you think I should wait for official RME compatibility support? Or should I take the plunge, seeing that many of you have got the beast to boot up?

Thanks, RME.

- Jimmy Rage

Re: Windows 8 support planned?

Interesting. People on gearslutz.com did some benchmarking tests that showed Windows 7 handles audio better than Windows 8. Then later, the point was made that the Fireface 800 works with Windows 8, but the FF400 does not.

Decisions, decisions.

- Jimmy

Re: Windows 8 support planned?

I already mentioned in other posts, that my FF800
runs stable as ever in it's new Win8 environment.
When booting up FF800 it even connects quicker to
the new OS, green lights come up almost instantly.

I hold on to a dated computer solely for our rehearsal rooms
with all their cigarette smoke, humidity, dust and empty beer cans.
Win8 rejuvenated that old inert box of junk that Vista
had a hard time handling and turned it into
a snappy piece of hardware. It feels even faster than my 'nice' DAW
beast with Win7/64.
Nuendo 5.5, Cubase 6.5, Arturia Synths, RME of course, all
is doing just fine.
Native Instruments very bloated VSTi do tend to run out of memory
now sooner than before, though.
Waiting for updates there.

All in all, I'm enthusiastic, how well the very first release of Win8 performs.
It's safe to say, it improves old hardware, but won't repair it smile

Good luck,
Erbs