Topic: TotalMix Compressor on software submixes

Hey all, first post to the forum! Good to be here. Been using RME products for about a year now. Love the TotalMix and onboard DSP. Great stuff. And the hardware (and sound) is just unbeatable at the price points.

So, I'm posting because I have a problem I'm trying to solve (who would have guessed). I'm on Win7 with a Fireface UCX and use Nuendo 5.5. I'm inside of Nuendo all day long, and I like to have the Windows audio output and Nuendo output coming out of separate software playback tracks in TotalMix. Allows for great flexibility in level control. This is done without issue. Both outputs are going to two separate software channels in TotalMix.

Here's the trouble. I'd like to use the TotalMix compressor to compress the Win7 output, but not the Nuendo output. All of this would be going to the same set of speakers (Main Outs 1-2). So, I'd like to be able to listen to the compressed/processed version of the Win7 output while simultaneously listening to the uncompressed/unprocessed Nuendo output going to the same hardware output. The signals are successfully going to their own respective software playback channels, but I can't seem to monitor and process the Win7 output without processing the Nuendo output as well. There's probably some routing black magic I'm just not thinking of that would solve my problem.

Being able to apply the DSP to the software channels would be my solution of choice, but that would require an update from RME (feature request!). RME is awesome, but I doubt this will happen. I'll take any kind of solution you gloriously intelligent folks can think of! If someone has a great routing tip, that will do.

Thanks for any help!

Re: TotalMix Compressor on software submixes

I've never used TMFX (hope to get the MADI-FX soon), but I don't believe Loopback would work here as TM still sees the physical input even though the Loopback'd signal is being fed to the ASIO Input AFAIK.

Are you using your ADAT or SPDIF connections?  You can make a physical loopback of the W7 output (SPDIF OUT and right back to SPDIF IN) and then do the TMFX processing on the SPDIF input.  Could do the same with ADAT or even Analog if you have unused physical I/O's at your disposal...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thanks Randyman, I took a couple passes at this question but only managed to make it more confusing than helpful.

In the interest of not writing a novel trying to explain this...

If you need help with the routing setup, please call me, looks like you are in the US.
http://www.synthax.com/index.php/contact.html

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks for the reply Randy and Jeff. Sorry for the reply delay...holiday weekend here in the U.S. I just did a preliminary quick test to see if I could get Randy's way to work. No luck....

Jeff, I'll probably be giving you a call soon...Great tech support! A+

Update:

Figured it out! Thanks fellas. Worked it out Randy's way via ADAT. Works like a treat...just like I wanted. I'll be switching back and forth between monitoring the processed and dry version so there are a few more steps involved than is ideal, but this certainly does the trick. Way to go.

Thank you kindly!

P.S. Jeff, was your tip going to be a "how-to" on what Randy suggested? I'm just curious if you had something else in mind...more out of curiosity than altering things.

Cheers,
Dave

Sweet!  With RME Gear - if there's a will there's generally a way smile

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8