Topic: UFX and dedicated USB card

Hi!

I'm new to the forum, although I've been using RME products for over 7 years. I recently upgraded to a FF UFX after my Multiface (1) started becoming unreliable (connection errors and a very dim host led when using the external power supply)(anyway, not the topic of the thread now smile ).

I haven't had that much time to play around with the UFX yet, but since I'm considering upgrading my entire DAW setup sometime after New Years, I'm looking into ways to optimize and squeeze out as much performance of the UFX as possible. My old DAW is unable to play back projects that were created with the multiface (buffer setting 128 samples) on the UFX with the same buffer size; and even 256 samples produces glitches and high CPU loads. For the record, I understand the inherent difference of using an interface directly connected to the pci/pcie bus vs. USB; not the issue now. I purchased the UFX due to it's features with the understanding that I might not achieve as low latencies as with the HDSP system. However, I of course want to optimize and squeeze the best performance out of the interface as possible. smile

The punch line question is, have you optimized the performance of your UFX by using a third party USB PCIe card, TB hub or similar? Any experiences/benefits? Currently I have a hoard of external hdds, a usb wifi adapter etc. sharing the USB resources, so wouldn't a USB host solely dedicated to the UFX provide some performance benefits?

Br,

//Alex

Re: UFX and dedicated USB card

Yes it would. It might even improve the low latency values a bit, but that depends on the rest of the hardware (motherboard chipset).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the quick reply! Any mb chipset options that are known to work really well?

//Alex

I'd also be interested
Klaus