1 (edited by w00fa 2012-11-28 21:15:14)

Topic: [FF400] Inputs 1 and 2's get Signal, but nothing's connected.

Hello,
I've recently been observing a rather strange behavior with my Fireface 400, especially since I didn't change anything on the interface itself, or in the Fireface Mixer and Fireface Settings apps.

Basically, I noticed that the 'SIG' LEDs for inputs 1 and 2, at the front of the interface, are lit, but they're not constantly lit. I.e., the light stutters. This happens even though nothing is plugged in to these ports. I'm also not sending Phantom to them. I do have cables connected to inputs 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8, as well as MIDI ports 1 and 2. These function as normally.

The Fireface Mixer app's showing incoming signals on inputs 1 and 2, however no amplitude is specified:

http://i.imgur.com/Mk1SH.png

Any ideas?

Thanks. All the best,
-w00fa

Re: [FF400] Inputs 1 and 2's get Signal, but nothing's connected.

Check the gain setting in the FF settings.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by w00fa 2012-11-28 21:51:41)

They're all the way up. I've never done MIC in's, and as such have never used inputs 1-2, or changed their level settings. (i.e., they've always been all the way up.)

If I take the sliders down, so that they're about 3/4 of the way up (or lower), the LEDs stop blinking.

I realize that, when recording, it's not 'standard' to have them all the way up, and also that they're MIC inputs and can follow very weak signal levels, but, as stated, this just started not long ago, and nothing's changed.

Faulty hardware?

Best,
-w00fa

No, you must have turned them up accidentally. This can also be done from the front panel knob. Just turn the gain down.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

5 (edited by w00fa 2012-11-28 21:52:49)

Ok. Cheers!

By the way, kudos for the quick response. I wasn't able to complete the reply before getting an answer.

Thanks again.

For "all the way up", levels are ok. This won't have been any different before. As long as the noise you do hear is a constant type of hiss, everything would seem to be just fine here. Levels in Totalmix should show something around -100dB with gain all the way down.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

True, andddd true.

Thanks a third time!