Topic: HELP: How to print my mixes with UCX? DA/AD

Hello. I would like some help. I hate Cubase's export sound and I always print my mixes by re-recording them.
Can someone tell me how can I do this with the New TotalMix???

I used to do it with my FF400 and worked well. So I know what to do with Cubase's settings. I just can't find the right settings with the TotalMix

Thanks a lot

Re: HELP: How to print my mixes with UCX? DA/AD

I found the solution. For anyone who wants to know It's like that:

Keep your Main Analog out (Control Room) to AN 1/2 up (Software Playback) and close all other out at Soft Playback in order to hear by the monitors.
And then hit the hardware output 3/4 and rise the volume of the Software playback AN 3/4 and cut the volume of Soft Playback AN 1/2.

It's obvius that you must make the connection DA/AD to the 3/4 out for the re-recoring and not to the 1/2!

Attention for all Cubase users. Cubase export is awfull. the Dynamics and stereo field is the worst ever. You hear a different song from the export and a different from the playback in the daw. Never export from Cubase. Always re-record your music. It's waaaaaay better.

UCX is a very good tool for that.

Don't forget to buy great cables if you do that. Mogami or Canare are the best choises. All other cables sucks.

Samplitude and Sequoia are the only good Daw's for exporting. Pro-Tools is nice too but not great.

logo0165 wrote:

Attention for all Cubase users. Cubase export is awfull. the Dynamics and stereo field is the worst ever. You hear a different song from the export and a different from the playback in the daw. Never export from Cubase. Always re-record your music. It's waaaaaay better.

UCX is a very good tool for that.

Don't forget to buy great cables if you do that. Mogami or Canare are the best choises. All other cables sucks.

Samplitude and Sequoia are the only good Daw's for exporting. Pro-Tools is nice too but not great.

Seriously?

You must be doing something wrong. The exported file is identical to what I hear in the mix (Pro Tools, but the same goes for every other DAW I've worked with).

If you really want to "print" the mix realtime rather than export in Cubase, I really don't see the point of going the DA/AD route. Just setup loopback recording with Totalmix.

5 (edited by logo0165 2012-12-07 18:34:15)

I assure you Cubase has a terrible export. If you have Cubase, just do the test.
Upload the exported audio to your mix session and hear the difference. The export is with Realtime mode and 32bit. There's no better audio quality to export and I still get the bad results.
There is a proof also here.    http://src.infinitewave.ca/

It's very interresting what you said about the loopback in TotalMix. How can I do that???

P.S.: What I want is to have the exact same sound in a wavefile. I don't care how. At least when I re-record the track, I get a bit of distortion from the converters but It's way more neutral in terms of dynamics and stereo field.

6 (edited by Runepune 2012-12-07 18:38:18)

logo0165 wrote:

I assure you Cubase has a terrible export. If you have Cubase, just do the test.
Upload the exported audio to your mix session and hear the difference. The export is with Realtime mode and 32bit. There's no better audio quality to export and I still get the bad results.
There is a proof also here.    http://src.infinitewave.ca/

It's very interresting what you said about the loopback in TotalMix. How can I do that???

P.S.: What I want is to have the exact same sound in a wavefile. I don't care how. At least when I re-record the track I get some a bit of distortion from the converters but It's way more neutral in terms of dynamics and stereo spread.

You linked to a page about sample rate conversion, which is something entirely different. Is that what you want to do? Export to a different sample rate than your project is set to? In that case, you may do as you described or export to the same SR and convert with a better engine afterwards.

No it's not what I want to do. I just want to export the same f***ing sound from my mix session without and alteration to the sound! That's all! Don't complicate things.

The page I send you it has nothing to do with sample rate convertion.
It's just about showing the differences in sound between the daw's. They experimented by exporting a sweep (0-20KHz), a 1KHz Tone etc... and see what differances happens in sound caused BY EACH DAW!

How can I do the loopback in TotalMix???

8 (edited by Runepune 2012-12-07 19:59:15)

logo0165 wrote:

The page I send you it has nothing to do with sample rate convertion.
It's just about showing the differences in sound between the daw's. They experimented by exporting a sweep (0-20KHz), a 1KHz Tone etc... and see what differances happens in sound caused BY EACH DAW!

It's a page comparing SRC (Sample Rate Conversion), it has NOTHING to do with mixdown. Seriously.

Don't know how to describe the exact loopback procedure without being in front of Totalmix...You need to somehow activate loopback for an output (that Cubase master is sent to) in Totalmix and record this to a stereo track in Cubase.

Or you could possibly just send Cubase master to an internal bus/aux # and chose this as input for a stereo audio track. Not familiar with Cubase though, so I'm not sure about that!

9 (edited by logo0165 2012-12-08 01:19:05)

Thank you very much for the information. I've never noticed that it was for Sample rate convertion. You're right.

As for the important things:
Please tell what settings I need to do in the TotalMix in order to archive that.

logo0165 wrote:

logo0165 wrote:

How can I do the loopback in TotalMix???

logo0165 wrote:

As for the important things:
Please tell what settings I need to do in the TotalMix in order to archive that.

Damn dude!
Crack open the manual. fryingpan

Macmini '19 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM, MacOS 10.15.2, LogicProX 10.4.8, FF400, UAD2 Satellite Octo

11 (edited by logo0165 2012-12-08 20:44:05)

I found it!

I'm soooooooooo happy! I can finaly have the exact same sound of my mix in a waveform!!! It's not very easy to do it.
I don't need to worry anymore for the shitty export of Cubase!

P.S.: It's very difficult to figure out from the Manual.
You'd better see this if you're interrested:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rpk9cGHNwc