Topic: FF 800 / Totalmix Output Problem

Hello,

it`s my first post and after working long time in studio(s) I am really not quiet sure if I will blame because of a little thing that I did`nt see at all. I have the following problem that I don`t understand:

I use Cubase as DAW. When I set the channel and master in Cubase to 0db I will get an distorted output signal when I use 0db in Playback and Output Channels in TotalMix Software. I have to go down 7-10 db (!) in Playback or Output Channel to get a clean signal. So metering with RME tools isn`t possible.
I checked the settings (hardware / software outputs) - even with 2 friends of mine, which are audio engineers, too. Can not detect any fault.

Maybe I have a total black out and can`t see any easy thing I did understand wrong - but if so, please let me know all your thoughts...

Many thanks!!!

2 (edited by vinark 2012-12-11 20:51:09)

Re: FF 800 / Totalmix Output Problem

Probably the classic, both output and control room set to the same output pair...
(Check VST connections)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Probably the classic, both output and control room set to the same output pair...
(Check VST connections)

thanks for fast answer. I don`t use Control Room, because I have a Mackie Big Knob as Controller. So I only use main outputs ( AN 1/2 ) and for the recording chain the headphone Outs ( which are routed to AN7/8).

I also found this old article with same thoughts (in german) which sounds similar. But to be honest: I don´t really understand how they solved the problem - without use of Control Room...

http://recording.de/Community/Forum/Seq … 85641.html

Is that only with Cubase - tried other software? Tried to reset TotalMix (ctrl-click preset 1)?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Is that only with Cubase - tried other software? Tried to reset TotalMix (ctrl-click preset 1)?

Yes, checked with Garage Band, same priblem. Also made a reset...

But: I now used -10db output gain, and it's ok. But I cannot understand this: I have no doubled output pair, no control room, no other plugin between.

Any idea? I ever used studio level of +4 - , even with my older interfaces...

Thanks for your help!

The only relevant information is where are the outputs of the FF 800 connected to now and which sensitivity do those inputs have. If -10 works then it looks like there is no real problem...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by keram 2012-12-12 10:41:26)

MC wrote:

The only relevant information is where are the outputs of the FF 800 connected to now and which sensitivity do those inputs have. If -10 works then it looks like there is no real problem...

Thank for fast reply!

The physical outputs of the FF are simply routed directly to a Mackie Big Knob Monitor Controller ( Input setting at +4) and there the used ADAM P22A Monitors ).
With +4 setting I can hear that distortion but inputs of the mackie are showing no overload, as outputs of Totalmix do same: showing no output overload.

Thats why I wonder...

What cabling between those? You could try the FF outputs directly to something different just to check for distortion.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

What cabling between those? You could try the FF outputs directly to something different just to check for distortion.

I use Vovox Cables, and already checked cables before. But: problem is fixed now:

I flashed the FF again and got same problem first. then I switched to -10 again. After that I wanted to try another config and did set the output level back to +4. Suddenly it works fine. I really don't understand why, but all is ok now! :-)

Thanks for your help!