1 (edited by flextone 2012-12-11 23:05:06)

Topic: FF400 clicks and dropouts - continued...

Hello,

Around 3 years ago I reported getting strange clicks and audio dropouts from my FF400, specifically when feeding input 4. It's been so long ago and the problem seemed to disappear after I just stopped using that input. I've recently did a fresh install of OSX (10.6.8), latest RME firmware and driver of course, and I'm getting those clicks again, this time it happened on another input (3). Since the problem is back after a clean OS install I assume this is not a FF400 hardware issue. I've even sent my unit to munich back then, the technicians didn't find a problem. Nevertheless, the cause of this still remains unclear.

The sound is a very fast high pitched click accompanied by a fast (few ms) audio drop out. When this happens, all the LED's on the FF400's front panel flash momentarily. Importantly, I have noticed that the clicks occur when I'm feeding the converters with either very low or very high frequencies, perhaps this can be a clue, although I still need to verify this.

My setup: Computer is a mid-2009 MBP (TI chipset). My DAW is Digital Performer 8. Im daisy-chaining fw800 from the MBP through an external drive, and a fw800 to fw400 cable from the drive to the FF. The FF is using external power using the original PSU.

Again, seeing that this issue returned after a clean install (new HD) of OSX, I assume the culprit is either the computer or something related to AC, but I really don't know. Could it be a bad audio cable? bad FW cable? unstable electricity from the wall socket or failing PSU?

Thanks in advance for anyone trying to help.

p.s

here's the original post (almost exactly three years ago)

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7130

Re: FF400 clicks and dropouts - continued...

Seems like a FW bus interruption. Did you try it without the external HD yet? This way you can also try using bus power. Turn off the Mac first, don't hotplug FW cables.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by flextone 2012-12-13 11:31:31)

Re: FF400 clicks and dropouts - continued...

Tried it today, it seems that the issue persists. However I'm starting to think it's a AC related issue. Possibly bursts of DC offset. I've noticed two interesting facts:

1) when the clicking happens, the lights on my power-amp blink as well, like it's turning off and back on really quickly. So it's pobably an AC issue or the power-amp itself.

2) it only happens when I slide the chair aggressively backwards and forwards smile

I'm guessing the old input 4 problem was a different issue altogether, because that sometimes lasted for 10-20 seconds.

at this point I'm completely lost. I'll check with headphones (poweramp turned off) and see how that goes, and I'll revive this thread if required.