Topic: Trying to Connect Fireface 800 to VRM Box through Spdif

I am trying to connect the Fireface 800 to the Focusrite VRM Box using the Spdif out from the FF800. So far no luck. The VRM Box software shows that it is not connected to the FF800.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Trying to Connect Fireface 800 to VRM Box through Spdif

Optical or coaxial? If optical check the Settings dialog, you might send ADAT to that unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It is coaxial.
In order to have a 75 ohm cable as opposed to a regular RCA cable, I am using one of the three cables normally used for hooking up hi-def television (Component cable.) Perhaps this is the problem. Do I need a cable specifically designed for S/PDIF?

You have another RCA cable to compare? Plug this cable back into the FF 800 to see if there is an input signal. Is the SPDIF out set to Professional? Try with and without.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I hooked the same component cable to my KRK ERGO and the S/PDIF locked without a problem so I guess it is not an issue with the cable or the RME FF800. I then reconnected the cable to the VRM Box but it is still not locking with the RME S/PDIF. I tried bot the COnsumer and Professional S/DIF options within the RME controal pnael with and without the Emphasis box checked.

Does the VRM box lock to something else (CD-Player...)?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Does the VRM box lock to something else (CD-Player...)?

I'm not sure that I have anything else that will connect to it. How could I test it with a CD player? Would the CD player have to have a S/PDIF out? Thanks.