1 (edited by Chgros 2012-12-29 22:12:37)

Topic: Which one ?

Hello everyone

First please excuse my bad english.

I am looking for some informations before bying my audio interface.

I want to be able to play live with 4 guitars (or 3 + a mic using) using my daw and some amp simulation VST like guitar rig, amplitube, overloud th2 etcetcetc

I also want to be able to record all those 4 guitars in real time

Which interface can do the job ?

The Fireface UFX looks to do the job, but is a little too expensive for me.

Is it possible to use another interface like the 400 or 800 ? because i dont think those front input can do Hi-Z input or am i wrong ?

i prefer usb, i was reading the fireface uc, i read

' Inputs 3 and 4 are flexible universal balanced inputs. They operate exactly like inputs 5 to 8 on the rear and can be adjusted to accept standard studio input levels (+4 dBu, LoGain). The input impedance can be switched from line (10 kOhm) to instrument (470 kOhm), and offers an additional analog input amplification of up to 18 dB in steps of 0.5 dB.'

If i read correctly i can connect directry my guitar on those input by switching the impedance ?

What would be the difference using inputs 1 or 2 with guitars ?

Thanks for any reply

Byebye

2 (edited by Chgros 2012-12-30 15:54:24)

Re: Which one ?

Should i buy a fireface 800 and add DI Boxes ?

Or is the UFX the only one adapted to my needs ?

3 (edited by Runepune 2012-12-30 16:20:01)

The UCX (or UC) has two Hi-Z inputs (input 3-4). Add a couple of DI's and you can use the two XLR inputs for the other two guitars. On input 1-2 on the UCX:

21.2 Microphone / Line Front

The two balanced microphone inputs of the Fireface UCX offer a digitally controlled gain of 0 to 65 dB via XLR/TRS combo jacks. The gain range is 65 dB, adjustable in 1 dB steps over a ran- ge of 55 dB. The soft switching, hi-current Phantom power (48 Volt), switchable per channel, provides a professional handling of condensor mics. Up to a level of +10 dBu, the front XLR input can also be used as Line input.

The two combo jacks also allow for the usage of mono and stereo TRS jacks. The TRS inputs have a fixed level attenuation of 11 dB. Based on the adjustable amplification from +0 dB up to +65 dB, the sensitivity is +21 dBu down to –44 dBu, referenced to full scale of the AD-converter. Therefore the TRS inputs are true full level Line inputs, and the unit can also be used as Line amplifier.

Hey thank you for your help !!!

Another question.

Input 3 - 4 have no preamps ?
So can i play direct input with my guitar in it ? I think i need preamp to use guitars in direct inputs in audio interfaces