Topic: Going crazy trying to sync RME FF UFX and ISA828 and 430

Hello!
This is my first post in the forum, and I'm really sorry for starting with a problem-solving request.
I have a Focusrite ISA828 linked to my FF UFX with ADAT (please note: just the single ADAT cable going from ISA's out to FF in)
and a Focusrite ISA430 mkii linked with AES/EBU.
I tried any combination of settings, but I just can't get these pieces of equipment to sync!
even when sync is set as internal in the FF settings, the leds corresponding to the units' connections keep flashing!
I really appreciate any kind of help you'd be able to give me !

plus . . . Is it possible that this lack of syncing results in damged audio quality - hum, little distorsions and stuff?

thank you so much in advance!

Simo

Re: Going crazy trying to sync RME FF UFX and ISA828 and 430

Read up on BNC Wordclock and syncing multiple digital devices.

I'd probably run the ISA828 as your System Master (not sure how well it's converters lock to external clock WRT jitter).

Then feed a BNC Wordclock cable from the 828's BNC Out into the ISA430's BNC Input and have the 430 slave to the BNC Wordclock Input.

Then have the RME UFX sync to the ADAT Input from the 828 (or run a BNC "Tee" from ISA 430 to your UFX's BNC Wordlcock input, and slave the UFX to Wordclock Input).  The 430 will automatically be sync'd and will pass into the UFX w/o any sync issues...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Randyman... wrote:

Read up on BNC Wordclock and syncing multiple digital devices.

I'd probably run the ISA828 as your System Master (not sure how well it's converters lock to external clock WRT jitter).

Then feed a BNC Wordclock cable from the 828's BNC Out into the ISA430's BNC Input and have the 430 slave to the BNC Wordclock Input.

Then have the RME UFX sync to the ADAT Input from the 828 (or run a BNC "Tee" from ISA 430 to your UFX's BNC Wordlcock input, and slave the UFX to Wordclock Input).  The 430 will automatically be sync'd and will pass into the UFX w/o any sync issues...

cool

Hello Randyman!
I'm extremely grateful for precise and kind reply!
First thing I think I comprehended . . . There is no way to have the gear work with no BNC link(only adat connection), right?
Excuse me for bothering, but I had been told that was possible when I first linked the gear.
Beside this, I will definitely try to follow your advice!
One more thing only: I once was told that to make a clock connection I also needed a terminator, or something like that,
which would also have been quite hard to find.
What about it? was it just another mistaken thing I've been told?
thank you really really much.
Best!

Simo

4 (edited by Masaaki 2013-01-04 06:01:58)

Randyman's suggestion is the best way to connect, but I just add a few things regarding what you mentioned.

Synchronizing is commonly done via Word Clock (using BNC cable), but also possible via SPDIF or ADAT connection. So, what you heard was right. The thing you need to remember is, there should be always master-slave relation in clock synchronization. That means, when you want to use FF as a master and either of your Focusrite preamps as slaves, then those Focusrite units should receive clock signals via SPDIF or ADAT.  But I don't think either of your preamps have SPDIF or ADAT 'inputs', right?

FF UFX can be sync'ed via ADAT, if you use either of your preamps as a master using SPDIF or ADAT. In this case, clock signals are carried on the same cable as the digital audio signals. So, try connecting EITHER of the preamp's digital output (SPDIF of 430 MkII or ADAT of 828), and tell FF UFX to do external clocking (FF UFX is slave then). It should work as long as the clock selection of preamp's AD converter and FF UFX's control panel's clock selection is matched. This is the way two devices are synched without word clock cable. BUT as soon as you connect BOTH clock source (SPDIF AND ADAT), FF UFX will think and be confused, 'which one is my master?", and synchronization doesn't happen. Only one unit should be 'master' and the other two should be slave. If you make FF UFX as master, then your preamps should be slaves, but you need to use word clock cable, because they (preamps) don't have SPDIF or ADAT 'input'. Does this make sense?

The reason Randyman suggested to use 828 as a master is, usually it is the best to use the front end AD converter as a clock source.

As to the termination, you can look up 'digital cable termination BNC' and should be able to find a one. Some units have internal terminator, and I believe FF UFX has internal termination. After all, 828 (Master) WC BNC out -> 430 (Slave) WC BNC in -> 430 WC BNC out (WC daisy chain) -> FF UFX WC BNC in, is the right and the best way (without using terminator plug).

Hope it makes sense.